berkley pre-rigged shrimp -kev C

ok here's what i did this arvo

i tuned this berkley 10cm prerigged shrimp for better action and hook up rate.

the lure was rigged by a single hook with around 25grms hidden weight. so i took out the hook and hidden weight cuz it's obviously too heavy for most estuary fishing.

next thing i did was placing 2 size 2 decoy SW trebles where big fish r most likely to bite onto. the hooks are connected by 23lb varivas casting PE( double) and after a bit, i thought i'd put on 20lb wire in case some toothy fish want it.

i also put in a 8-9grms sinker at the lower front for better sinking action ( idea from squid jigs!)

so here's berkley shrimp -kev c, meaning it's super tuned by me.:P [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC01813_AFO.jpg

post-1433-144598460408_thumb.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

benno573 wrote:

are you using braid to connect the hooks or is that what you changed to the wire?

i used only braid at 1st but figured what if some toothy fish hit the lure? so for strength and durability reasons, i kept the braid connection and put on 20lb wire as extra protection. either of the connection have at least 15lb strength so i can rest assure that a fish hooked won't get away by tearing apart the lure.

Bigger spool?:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Dan23 wrote:

You guys shouldn't tease Kev or he'll post what he landed on that lure before he lost it and put you all to shame.:laugh:

Dan I would be very happy to see Kev catch a awesome fish on his "super tuned" plastic. I love seeing big fish, I dont care who there caught by. So I'm looking forward to the report where he was "Super Finese" Bream fishing with 24lb braid and his "Super tuned" sp, even the pic where he's holding his fish as far away from his body to make the fish look bigger.

Yes we're all learning, the tricks of the trade!

Jayson

Some posts have been removed as the are inappropriate (more so than others) and subsequent posts relating to them. Eging thing is getting old.

Kevin: do you mean heavier than 23lbs for use in the plastic, or as your mainline?

My opinion is: if you're having trouble with 23lbs in the brissy river, then you really need to tighten that drag of yours up mate. :unsure: Either that or fish with more than 50m of line when doing 30+m casts :laugh:

TerryH wrote:

My opinion is: if you're having trouble with 23lbs in the brissy river, then you really need to tighten that drag of yours up mate. :unsure: Either that or fish with more than 50m of line when doing 30+m casts :laugh:

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

considering where kev fishes id be using 30lb minimum if i want to keep lures :P

and maybe land a few fish:P :P :cheer:

fishyman wrote:

TerryH wrote:

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

considering where kev fishes id be using 30lb minimum if i want to keep lures :P

Fishyman: It's not really anything to go by as I have only seen and felt kevins gear once, but his drag was set extremely light, which cool for the sport of it. His reaction when he felt my 4lbs told me that he doesn't fish his gear anywhere near what he COULD. Maybe he does normally fish it a lot harder in these areas, I don't know, it's just the impression I got.

If he's fishing snaggy terrain, then from what I've read and heard from other anglers, then perhaps he should be using another line other than varivas to get better abrasion resistence.

I stand by my statement that the lbs gear he is using should be ample.

TerryH wrote:

fishyman wrote:
TerryH wrote:

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Fishyman: It's not really anything to go by as I have only seen and felt kevins gear once, but his drag was set extremely light, which cool for the sport of it. His reaction when he felt my 4lbs told me that he doesn't fish his gear anywhere near what he COULD. Maybe he does normally fish it a lot harder in these areas, I don't know, it's just the impression I got.

If he's fishing snaggy terrain, then from what I've read and heard from other anglers, then perhaps he should be using another line other than varivas to get better abrasion resistence.

I stand by my statement that the lbs gear he is using should be ample.

yeah fair enough terry, i reckon he could get away with it and he has been but if he wants to land everything he hooks heavier is the go.

i agree on swapping from varivas to a more abrasion resistant line.

Kev

I really like your style mate! The shrimp is just brilliant....I will definatley start doing the same thing. I recentley put new rings and bigger treble hooks to my favourite hard body...gave to a run out at Wello point and woohoo got most of my fish.....def better hook ups.

Good onya!

Batty

thanks batman.

putting trebles on those shrimps is definitely one of the best decisions i made last few days. hook up rate jumped from 0% to 90%.

as for bigger trebles and heavy duty rings on those HBs, i won't recommend this mod to be used regularly as sometimes it will ruin the action of lures.

but if u notice the lures i chose to upgrade, they all have very very strong actions so some extra hardware should be fine. those extra strong hardware will make sure that there's no weak point throughout my set up so that i've go confidence to really lock up the drag and give massive fish some serious stopping power

here's the combo i'll be throwing the heavier ones in the pic

loomis forcelite 10-17lb( wish it was 15-25lb)

calais 100a

73m fireline 30lb with bimini twist at end

1.8m 60lb leader( hopefully i can get black magic tough) or 5m wind on 80lb leader if i still get bust offs)

all rings on lures will be changed to 40lb test rings. all lures i'll throw will have new hooks that can hold up to 30lb force.

when fishing, i'll keep drag at least 10lb-12lb at all stages of fight.

Archived