Borumba 9 June 08

Rocket75

Well, what can I say about Borumba Dam?

Lovely scenery, good facilities, fish everywhere, lots of surface action? All these things would be true on today's evidence.

Just a pity that we could not muster a single strike.

Kath and I set out at 11.00 for our first trip to Borumba.

We had planned to have an afternoon session and enjoy a sleep in.

What a way to spend a public holiday;)

Conditions looked marginal at best as we set off, but we pinned our hopes on the "sunshine" in sunshine coast shining through.

Following the highway north we were amazed by the amount of traffic heading south. Stop, start, tail to tail the traffic wound many kilometers back from the Bribie turn-off. Glad to be heading in the opposite direction, we hoped that it would clear before the trip home.

Well signed from the highway, we wound our way through the countryside on roads flanked by protest signs fighting the proposed dam.

By the time we made it to the ramp, the sky was still grey and threatening, but no rain was falling.

We agreed that it would be a shame to come all that way and not wet a line, we launched and headed to the far end of the dam where Lee, Terry, Bretto and Biggles were supposed to be already.

Within minutes the rain came down.

What would have otherwise been reason for a U-Turn and mission cancelation was translated into a test run for my new bimini!

We did not escape the rain totally, as it was coming in sideways with the wind at times, but we were saved from the bulk of it:)(Thanks Ray;) ) .

15 minutes later the rain slowly faded away and we lowered the lid and set off at full speed :blush: to find the others.

What we found was a LOT of water and standing timber.

It all looked so fishy, and there were fish there (if my sounder was to be believed), but we got nothing on the troll or casting spinnerbaits.

Heading ever further up the dam and deeper into the timber, we came accross a fellow in blue Hobie (we later found out this was Biggles). He told us he had been successful trolling spinnerbaits for a few bass, as we passed going in the opposite direction. We toiled on late into the grey afternoon and eventually found the other boys just as we were about to begin the run back.

I was perversly pleased to hear that they had been on the water since early morning casting/trolling all types of lures and so far had caught....nothing.:woohoo:

Whoopee...it's not just us!

We had a quick race. Hobie peddle power V tinny and 4hp.

No doubt the boys can really motor in their yaks, legs pumping furiously they kept pace with out little tub at full throttle (11.5km/h).

For me however, the effort of twisting the throttle to the stop was a small price to pay verse the full cardio workout the hobie extracted.:laugh:

We left the boys in our wake as we motored the half hour back up the main basin to the ramp.

Biggles was loading up as we came ashore, and after some introductions and a quick chat we headed for home.

2 hours later we were at home having had a great run traffic wise. We had to have some luck today.

No fish were caught by us, but it was a good experience.

The bimini paid for itself and the electric+outboard experiment was a success, just a shame about the BLOODY FISH!

Thanks for reading, here's what the dam looked like.

Rocket

[img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Borumba_9th_June_08_003.jpg

post-953-14459846108_thumb.jpg

A big donut for me. Had two swipes from toga and that was it (65cm & 45cm). The dam is beautiful but was devoid of life today. No surface action and no fish but I will be back to nail those toga and hopefully in a hobie so I can keep up :P

G'day Rocket, good to meet you and Kath today, after listening to the other 3 all day it was a pleasent change :laugh: . Being in the yaks since about 6:00am this morning I had just about seen enough of the rain throughout the day.

I have enclosed a little pic of a Borumba bass caught today, I grabbed 3 on the way back to the ramp. I am sure the lads will post up their fish from today, OR NOT :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: . Dun em like a dinner :laugh: again.

They weren't that big but at least I got me some.

Regards

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Copy_of_101_1317.JPG

post-2756-144598461084_thumb.jpg

Biggles wrote:

G'day Rocket, good to meet you and Kath today, after listening to the other 3 all day it was a pleasent change :laugh: . Being in the yaks since about 6:00am this morning I had just about seen enough of the rain throughout the day.

I have enclosed a little pic of a Borumba bass caught today, I grabbed 3 on the way back to the ramp. I am sure the lads will post up their fish from today, OR NOT :woohoo: :woohoo: :silly: . Dun em like a dinner :laugh: again.

They weren't that big but at least I got me some.

Regards

Al [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Copy_of_101_1317.JPG

Good to meet ya Biggles. That Bass was without a doubt the best fish I saw caught all day (and the only one!:P )

Rocket

Rocket75 wrote:

We had a quick race. Hobie peddle power V tinny and 4hp.

No doubt the boys can really motor in their yaks, legs pumping furiously they kept pace with out little tub at full throttle (11.5km/h).

For me however, the effort of twisting the throttle to the stop was a small price to pay verse the full cardio workout the hobie extracted.:laugh:

We left the boys in our wake as we motored the half hour back up the main basin to the ramp.

Hey mate, I could go faster tahn your boat. When you were slowly catching up I was cruising along WAITING for you to catch up so I could start going the same pace as you, side by side :)

Then I dropped back and tried to see if I could ride your wake :laugh: Lee was pedallign his heart out because he was stuck on the back of it, but it was pretty easy to sit on it :laugh:

I did go faster than you for a short time because I had slowed and fell behind your wake a little, so sped up to get back infront ;)

However, the problem was, it left Brett a long way back, who was getting tired from the long day :(

Well that had to be the hardest days fishing of my life, I threw every type of lure imaginable, I got one good hit on a spinnerbait that failed to hook and one surface strike on a buzz bait from a bass and that was it, luckily I had good company out on the water otherwise I would have gone insane lol

Lee

As lee said, it was tough fishing. I thought my arms were going to fall off from so many casts with no reward.. That or fall asleep doing it :blush: Then I found the lure I thought was the 18ft models was really the 25 ft model.. :laugh: the 18ft is claimed to swim to 8 metres on thin line... yep, no wonder the 25ft model was smashing bottom at 9+ metres :whistle:

Even still, none of the fish in the 8-12m range wanted a piece of the action, perhaps if I had a good rattling jackal they would have struck, no idea.

99% of my fishing was specifically for toga, and they clearly weren't coming to the party. We saw a couple of swirls/surface strikes but not much activity in general from the toga.

Archived