whats the best for a fish tank?

kriso

tank water is fine saves you a bit on your water bill, just fill the tank add the water ager stuff and have the filter running at least for a few hrs before adding fish - its best if you can let it run overnight before adding fish, thats how i do it.

hey

Your choice could also depend on what fish your planning to keep.

rainwater is usually more acidic and prefered by most tropical fish and even natives. However cichlids which prefer a higher pH may like your tap water abit more.

As mentioned before, make sure u dechlorinate the water, and since your only recently filling the tank, let it cycle building up the population of bacteria required for bio filtering (nitrates, ammonia, nitrites).

hope this helps!

Kriso the reason for leaving the lids off is to expose the water to the atmosphere as this helps to remove any chlorine that maybe present in the tap water. If the lids are left on during the start up stage with heavy aeration, condensation will form on the inside of the tank which is really the crap you are trying to remove.

Basically the process you are looking to achieve is evaporation.

Remember this is for start up only and once the tank has settled the lids can be replaced as to reduce the amount of water lost through evaporation.:)

By the way forget about using chemical dechlorinators!!

There just a waste of money made purely to suck in newbie's!!;)

Try not to get in the habit of adding chemicals everytime U think somethings wrong as u will only end up with a toxic slurry.

okay i have got all clean and filled up. filter/aerator running also the heater is running at 26 degrees and have the water ager in. will buy some of that ph stuff tommorow so should be good to put the redclaw in on wed/thur i reckon. one thing i need is a piece of glass for the top to suit a 3 foot tank any one got some glass they want rid of?

Archived