Brisbane Bay Tours report 27/7/08

rayke1938

We completely circumnavigated Moreton today. What a drive!

Man no boats were getting that much however by the radio. Seems like all the fish are inside or further north...

Story of the day for me was to big or to small. I caught a few small fish, red throat emps, pearlies and squire. I also got demolished twice by "god knows what". Its funny a couple of people who were not there have told me "i should have done this or that". But these bust offs were the kind were have 3 seconds of load up and BANG nothing. Unstopable on the gear I was using.

Paul had a similar experience but did get to fight it for about 30secs maybe less. Whatever it was (predicted to be a monter snapper or kingie) absolutley nailed him nearly taking him over the edge! After a short, painful fight, even with the drag fully locked up the fish got him back down to reef. You should have seen puals face! I was vicariously upset for him!!!

Well done to all those that took home a feed.

Special mentio must go to Pete "The Codfather". Pete caught nearly all the cod for the trip randging from Maori's to a Scorpion cod. Ask Benno about sticking your fingers in a Scorp cods mouth :P

Also to Carsten, way to leave your first BFo event mate. Biggest fish and a new rod! Well done.

Other highlights were deffiently the Whales which were launching themselves at one point all the way out of the water. Pretty cool.

Oh a couple of other things. The water temp was about 2 degrees warmer than it should be. We can only assume this is why we seeing more red throats and Maori cod than Snapper.

Also anyone going outside make sure you know you Coral Fin Fish. We did get inspected and tehy checked our fish to make sure we had clipped the pectoral fins. Snapper and Pearlies are not coral fin fish but species like Moses Perch, Grassy sweetlip etc are. This applied no matter where they are caught so is worth noting. The fines are steep.

I will be booking more trips soon for anyone interested.

Angus

The whales were really something. I lost count at 15.

I was amazed at the variety of fish caught just a shame that they were so small. Hope some of the others post their photos one small wrasse was really spectular.

I am afraid that I wasnt too sociable all day I was having problems with my crook shoulder and knees with the chop and swell.

Still pretty stiff and sore today.

Wife reckons I am too old for it which has made the more determined to do it again.

Anyone considering a trip with Brisbane Bay tours go for it they are a really professional group with top boats and gear and clients safety is their first consideration.

There reason why we fished the top of Morton was that they considered that the South passage bar was too rough with 3 metres of swell on it.

I didnt mind as I got a good look at the top of Morton as It is over 50 years since I have been there. The last times I was there the whaling station was still going.

Anyone else remember the Kos 1,2 and 3??

Cheers

Ray

Ray I'm not quite your vintage B) and I always come back from a fish feeling stiff and sore :( and loving every moment I was out. :cheer: Don't give up on it mate - if you didn't go out it would hurt more.

Its good to hear you all got some fishing action, pity about the monsters that got away. :dry: Best part was hearing that Paul seems to have found a solution to his sea-sickness. :X :pinch: :unsure::) :cheer: :laugh:

Congratulations Carsten lots of great firsts and a new stick to poke at the fish! :cheer:

Gus etch my name on your list for the next trip out, I'm due to catch a big one... a medium sized one... anything really. :dry: :cheer:

My late report

Most of it has already been said.

While the fish weren't on the chew well except for the pickers that is and a couple of keepers it was still a great day out.

The guys realy tried hard to put us onto some fish but this was just one of those days that they didn't want to co-operate.

The day looked like it was going to be a great one as I caught a slightly undersize pearlie on my first drop and a just legal one shortly after.

The rest of the day was spent mainly rebaiting.

We tried livies and and the result was a squire not much bigger than the bait.

Final tally of keepers caught from our boat was

1 Pearly

2 Squire

1 Tuna that provided a bit of excitement. Much to Bennos dismay this was released to fight on.

There were also plenty of undersize fish caught.

Congratulations to Carstan on the rod pick up.

Again what can I say about the guys from BBT but to thank them for their professionalism and easy going nature. I can't wait to take another trip out with them.

Ah the early morning start

1 [img size=490]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Ah_The_Early_Morning_Starts.jpg

post-1250-144598466727_thumb.jpg

time for my 0.25c worth..

day was great. good company with exception of angus. caught the biggest fish from our boat, a 39cm maori cod, unfortunately a far cry of the 45cm legal size. good day out, lots of whales, dolphins and good jokes, with exception of anything angus said. photos to follow.

angus working hard... [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1050492_AFO.jpg

post-2244-144598466784_thumb.jpg

As I remember it came up on the right side of Benno's boat the last few times we were out. :blink:

Therefore - the sun rises on the right and sets on the left! :ohmy:

For the more nautically minded :dry: - the sun rises so we can find the beers :cheer: and sets so we can sleep off our hang-overs... me hearties! :X

kreel wrote:

As I remember it came up on the right side of Benno's boat the last few times we were out. :blink:

Therefore - the sun rises on the right and sets on the left! :ohmy:

:huh: I recall it rising on the right and setting on the right :P

well done to all who managed a feed. sounds like it was tough out there.

c'mon carsten-where's your report? I heard you've earnt bragging rights!

Hi Guys.

What can I say but thanks a million for a good time.........

I was very happy to meet you all and enjoyed the company immensely.

My little Snapper was enjoyed by Anne and me the same evening, cant beat fresh fish.

From memory I dont think our boat had any major snap offs from large fish.

It's a shame no one landed any of the thumpers I would have loved to see a big Cobia, Cod or something along that line.

Thanks again guys, I am looking forward to many more trips with you all

/Carsten

Archived