fish finder - worth while to get one?

novrain

hi guys

just got a catalouge in the mail and saw some fish finders for sale.

they're not the fancy ones you find on most boats. its one of those hand held ones which go for about $70-100

i don't have a boat so i normally fish land-based. just wanted to see if it was worth getting one of these and what everyone's thoughts are?

can they be used if i'm land-based?

i konw we can cast them out and then it takes a reading but how accurate and good they are, i'm not sure

thoughts guys?

thanks

Even the cheapest of models will still give u an idea of whats happening below the water surface though they might not be so accurate at finding fish.

With abit of understanding and interpretation of the underwater terrain through the help of a fish finder it becomes easy to locate fish based on water depth/temp and structure/bottom.

I have also heard that some of the cheaper models have programs built in to "LIE" about finding fish. How true this is I'm not sure??:)

Never really given anything like that much thought before but I think I would prefer to be casting a bait or a lure into an area rather than a transducer.

I figure they would have a short life if you started unleashing long casts on them, or you would just be lobbing the gear out. Either way I can't see too much value in it. A better idea might be to hire a tinny with sounder and spend your half day or whatever sounding your little heart out.

The poor mans way is look at water colour, current lines, low tide, weighted floats and a few others that will come to you if you are really keen to find out what is in an area.

Any fish finder is only as good as its user, if you don;t learn how to use it properly you are wasting your time.

yeah that's what i thought too.. i didn't think they'll be THAT accurate as compared to the expensive ones..

i would think they would give at least a rough indication of what the terrain is below the water

at least i'll know where the ledges are and maybe pin a liveie at the ledge

novrain wrote:

yeah that's what i thought too.. i didn't think they'll be THAT accurate as compared to the expensive ones..

i would think they would give at least a rough indication of what the terrain is below the water

at least i'll know where the ledges are and maybe pin a liveie at the ledge

i don't know where you fish or how far your casting,if you go to some places a fair bit you seem to get to know the general idea of what is lurking below.i would rather go to bunnings and spend 20 bux on some gear to make a berley bucket and a bit of rope and bring the fish to me. i personally would not buy 1 of those,if they were that good you would think more people would have them, i haven't seen anyone with 1 yet..

Archived