mud island 14.9.08

James W

well lasts nights beers made me a bit foggy this morning and i held up my dad, my brother ian (fergie) and my nephew getting in the car and on the way to mud island for a fish..it was very lumpy on the way from clontarf and i think we may have got there bout 7am...went to dads favourite mark in search of a snapper..one other boat out there which is a change from 50 that ya see some days:)

i was hoping that the choppy water conditions were gunna bring on a hot bite but wasnt to be...all four of us had sps bouncing all over the place and all we managed we pike, small squire and a few grawssy sweetlip...so next we went in a bit closer fishing in 9ft of water and the bite was beeter but the size was not..my gulp shrimps and atomic prongs were gettin nailed by loads of undersize grassys and bream which kept me entertained but i was hoping for a fish of some size...ian did manage a legal squire which gave us some encouragement ...pike, more sweetlip and the odd bream and also the young fellas first whiting came from this spot..

then before he headed home we decided to troll for tailor as we normally do b4 we go home...and it was awesome fun...i reckon we caught and released 30 tailor all just or just on legal size aprt from the 2 im gunna eat tonight:) ....dad was trolling a pink strike zone, ian a micro mullet and i a manns stretch 5 (rocket..yes you know the one;) )...i was trolling a yo-zuri hardcore in pink but a tailor of about 50cm decided he wanted to take it home..damn thing done me over boatside in front of the net!:angry:

so after about 10 times saying "one more troll past" (cuz we were getting double and triple hook ups every pass!) we did decide "one more and thats it"...then...bang!..my reel screamed and i was on again...this time i was saying this a a good tailor, hope its the one with my yo-zuri in its gob...and up came a mackerel!..stoked!...a school mack of 64cm!...my first ever mack on the troll...so then..a few more passes of the rocky outcrop:P ..and a few more tailor were nabbed and flicked back..then finally..we bounced all the way home...a great day trolling...nothing massive...but the mulitple hook ups had all of us giggling like kids:)

fergie with a bait caught squire [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00278.jpg

post-180-144598472295_thumb.jpg

the taior were thick in numbers not in size..they were busting up everywhee and we could troll right thru em and still all hook up...if if one person didnt hook up on the troll...they would flick in behind somone else fish that was being reeled in and catch the ones that were following it...was fun as [img size=320]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/DSC00284.jpg

post-180-144598472306_thumb.jpg

Archived