Standing up for Brisbane lb fisherman

BIG DAVE 1

hey guys im really getting sick and tired of seeing those fishing prohibited signs erected everywhere. So i have decided to send the lord mayor another email in reguard to this.

Actuall email.

\"Dear Lord Mayor

I sent an email to you about 10 months ago. Back then I was bringing to your attention the disregard towards Brisbane land based fisherman. There isn’t a pontoon that I know of along the Brisbane River that allows fishing. A lot of the pontoons in the Brisbane River are home to some of the best fishing in Brisbane. I used to fish the pontoon at Oxley creek for bull sharks and now I am unable to fish there because you and your council have erected signs to ban fishing. I popped into my local member’s office and noticed a brochure and it had a map of all the canoeing pontoons along the Brisbane River and all the creeks joining the river. I don’t see why if there are so many canoeing pontoons there can’t be a fishing pontoon. I would invite you to join me and a group of local fisherman to show you some of Brisbane rivers best fishing, but we cant because there is now where were we can safely access the river for a fish, please don’t turn a blind eye to Brisbane fisherman. David\"

I think if everyone sends him letters and emails then he shall have to do something about it.

dave

Great work! I completely agree.

I wonder what his response will be?

Some bullsh!t no doubt. I think everyone should send him a letter or two (or 3 or 4) stating that there is a large contingent of people who fish the river and they would extremely happy to vote for a man who cares about fishing.

good luck with this!

The main problem i can see would be the fact that the pontoons are actually created for boats, not fishing. Also i have seen the mess anglers leave on pontoons, and lets be honest, its pretty messy. Also there is the safety issue.

Now dont get me wrong, i believe something needs to be done. I think they need biuld for fishing only pontoons.

i hope he responds well to your letter.

Yeah totally Dave, they should. from their point of view i can understand it. The pontoons are owned by the council, and if poeple get hurt on them, they can sue the gov.

But it wouldnt be too hard to place a coupkle out there for us

Yes indeed. But also there are heaps and heaps of fish in the river. mainly catties but still they fight resonably and very easy to catch. I think if there was some LEGAL jetties/pontoons it would be a great place for a youngin(younger than me)/beginner to start.

Youre right again Timbo, everyone complains how the younger generation is lazy and just sit infront of the tv or computer. If there were more things to do for kids put in place, maybe they would get outside. fishing is just 1 thing they could do, but it'd be a good start.

I completely agree but they have to make fishing look 'cool' and have insentives to get them out. Maybe like a new junior competition on one of the new LEGAL fishing pontoons. Then they might find out that fishing is actually fun and so close to the doorstep they wouldnt have to go very far.

Well first things first.

dave whats the email address you sent that to so we can all have a crack.

secondly, a lot of fishermen do leave a big mess.

But i know for a fact that fisho's like Troy and Jordan make a huge effort (pronlonging leaving for at least half an hour) to make sure the pontoon is cleaned down before hand.

I think the concept of actual designated fishing pontoons is actually a really good idea.

A few thngs came to mind.

1. The ammount of money spent on biekways.

2. Those parks with the like obstacle course things (for fitness).

3. General park and play gorund maitanance etc.

These sorts of things must be expensive compared to to addition of a few pontoons catered for fisho's. Also if they were diseigned for that purpose alone imagine the potential. Rod holders for exmaple ????

I think if you write a letter pitch it something of the line of \"We are meant to be the \"\"River City\"\", please promote more river based activities\".

Cheers.

Angus,

Aagh ya mob of girls! :evil:

Never fished off a pontoon in the river. When I was a young fella, heck I dont even remember seeing one!

Real fishermen dont mind fishing from the bank, getting their feet and maybe bum dirty. If you wanted luxury when I was a lad, we always fished off the car port ferry, luggage point sewage outlet or the various rock walls around the place. Otherwise is was luvly mud or long grass.

Next you'll be wanting a power point for your electric blanket and mozzy zapper to plug into!:S

Power points.

Thats an awesome idea.

Thanks Andrew :P

Yeah im not to worried to be honest.

I have fished the pontoons many times.

Left them clean and there have been no issues.

And along Coronation where i usually fish its just the rocks.

Angus.

yeh dave good work... jordan has sent a few emails to the council also about fishing at bretts wharf or making a fishing pontoon with only usless meaningless reponses only leading off the topic weve asked them... so i beleive we should provide hack saws to every new member who signs up to waste a few of those annoying signs

troy

Eh, I personally don't see the problem in using a pontoon for fishing as long as it's kept clean. I believe Angus missed my name when he said Troy and Jordan considering that night was Troy and myself cleaning, whilst jordan hacked open a shark:P

But then, I have only fished a pontoon at night and that's when only the citycats and sometimes party boat/lady brisbane are out and about. Then the problem could be that we get in the way by cluttering up the pontoon.

If they responded with why we can't fish there, two possible responses would be: to keep it clean and so we don't get in the way.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/06/15 12:06

Archived