Baitcaster Blues

paul10

Just got a present from the kids for my birthday of a baitcaster combo from BCF. It is a ABU Black Max reel on a ABU Muscle Tip Rod. I put some 12lb line on it and decided to do some practise but I can't get it to stop unspooling line at the end of the cast. I realise it is not a very good quality outfit but I would like to use it in a couple of weeks time.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? It has only a couple of adjusters on it as far as I can tell and I have tried it in different positions with not much luck.

There should be a small spool tension adjustment knob on the handle side of the real. Try winding your lure/bait up til it is about 6 inches from the rod tip, then tighten/loosen that knob until the lure/bait moves very slowely downwards. That should help a bit:)

Aside from that, practice is the key. Try tieing a sinker on, and casting down at a park or somewhere like that. You'll get the hang of it eventually

In the time it has taken me to type this, someone else may have answered also, in which case I hope I agree with them.:P

In answer to your question about thumbing the spool...

Yes you should.

Basically the technique (once brake adjusted as per cowfish instructions)

1. click the reel into freespool (prob a thumb bar at the back of the reel) slide your right thumb onto the spool to stop the line feeding out.

2. draw your arm back preparing for your cast whilst maintaining pressure on the spool.

3. move your arm forward into the cast and release your thumb just after passing verticle, thus allowing the line to feed off the spool and towards your target.

4. Follow the cast with your eyes and as the lure/bait hits the water thumb the spool again to stop the line feeding out.

If you have gone 1-4 without an over-run of line and avoided the birds-nest that follows, proceed to 5:cheer:

5. click the reel into gear by starting to wind and that will allow you to take up the slack and start your retrieve.

The brake adjustment will limit your distance, but as you gain confidence with practice and experience you can loosen it off gradually.

so i gather this is your first baitcaster? I had a bit of trouble with them at first but I love them now, have a look here

/>http://pages.infinit.net/fishing/bait101.htm

just follow the instructions step by step and it should help. also gives you a better idea of how the baitcaster works. cheers

They certainly take some practise. As mentioned before, a good tip is to hold the reel sideways. I still cast like this. If you are losing heaps of line it may be an idea to roll out say ten metres on line and put some tape over the spool. As you improve roll out fifteen metres and tape it, then twenty metres until your casting a country mile.The tape will only allow a certain amount to birdnest, if you have to cut it you won't lose too much.Also don't overfill the spool.

That is a good casting reel too, but it could be tricky with small lures.

The type of line can also make a big difference...I use true braid and rarely get over runs.

Get your thumb educated and feather the spool as the line comes off....don't give up.

The best bet would be to meet up with someone who can show you how.Where abouts do you live ?

As for the baitcaster, traditionally for some reason right handed fishermen cast with their right hand and switch hands before the lure hits the water and then winds the line with their right hand with the rod in the left. thats why most of the baitcasters you'll see in the shops are configured with right hand retrieve.

Now I'm right handed, but I prefer to hold the rod in my stronger hand, so I can support the rod properly and wind with my left. I use a left handed retrieve on both my spinning reels and baitcasters. What this means is that I can cast the line out with my right and the left comes up to retrieve, no need to switch hands. This also helps when I'm onto a larger fish and with a longer fight, as my stronger hand is on the rod. Works perfectly for luring as well as I am definitely more dextrous with my right. its all about what works for you, I know dan used to have a right hand retrieve on his baitcaster but he has converted to using a left hand retrieve. Its all a matter of preference I guess...

Yeah i can imagine it would be hard to switch if you have been using them right handed for years, I only first picked up a rod and reel early last year and my first instinct was to reach for the handle with my left hand so thats how it stayed for me, theres no right or wrong in fishing, just what works for the individual fisherman, :P

Archived