hello all. questions about the brisbane river?

apoklyps60

hello everyone,

im a new member to your forums and had a couple questions in regards to the brisbane river. is this river a brackish water river or is it fresh water? also how accessible is the river from the kingston area of brisbane. type of rigging used? carolina rig? plastics? bait for my boys? sorry for the flurry of questions. i am from the United States and am planning a trip over there. sometime mid winter. july of 09. last question. during your winter months what fish frequent the river. i was told all you catch are puffer fish. im bringing 2 rods. a 7 foot med light 8-17 lb baitcaster. and a 9 foot med heavy 12-30lb baitcaster (salmon steelhead rod). is this sufficient? or should i fish a lighter rig. the 9 foot is specifically for my hunt of yellow belly at the dam. thank you all in advance for any help you can provide. nice site by the way.

fish on..

G'day mate and welcome to AFO:woohoo:

The Brisbane River is a large water way that has both Fresh and Salt water. The fish on the chew in winter in the salt water are Jew fish (molloway), Thread Fin Salmon, Bream, Snapper and Flathead just to name a few. In the upper reaches we have Australian Bass and Yellow belly. Baits, lures and soft plastics all catch fish here and as foor Puffer fish:laugh: yep you do catch them every now and again.

I would strongly recomend that you have a read of some old threads, just type Brisbane River into the search feature. Stay posting and I have no doubt that a member will donate some time when you arrive to take you fishing and teach you some secrets of the Brisbane River.B)

Jayson

i made a slight mistake. its the logan river and not the brisbane river. sorry mah bad. i did use the search feature unfortunately im not too familiar with the street names and the suburbs. all i know is ill be in kingston. what part of the river would be most productive to bring my kids to without having to use a monster rod. med lite spinning gear for them. thanks again

From Kingston you will be about 30 minutes from the Gold Coast and much easier family fishing options than with the Logan River from the land.

My advice would be to drive the 30 minutes down to the Gold Coast and you will have an easier time with both access to the water as well as the fishing itself.

I live at Shailer Park, about 5 minutes from Kingston and would much prefer to drive down the coast, especially if I had kids with me!! You can fish as light or heavy as you like then and won't have the same hassle with spots or snags as you do with the Logan River.

Not trying to diss the Logan as there can be some good fishing from there, it's just really difficult to find good land based spots that are vacant with easy fishing for kids!!

Shorty :)

thanx dude. im not too familiar with the area. where are the best bait shops to get some live bloodworms or sand worms. the boys will probably be baiting the whole trip. im hoping i can get them into lures. but wishing was made for dreams as they say. lol. for hope island what type of techniques do u suggest? also is there a license requirement to fish? number of rods allowed? sorry im from california and i know all laws are not the same. im just making sure. do you have halibut there? i think you refer to them as flounder. thank you again for all the help dude.

fish on

As you drive along the M1 you will come to the Southport exit, Smith Street. Take this exit and follow it the whole way and you will come to a set of lights.

Turn right and about 200 metres ahead you will see a blue low set building. Pull in there and they will have live worms as well as live prawns and yabbies!

Great place with lots of helpful, friendly advice.

We do have flounder but not in the massive sizes they catch in the US. In New Zealand they can get them in the massive sizes but not here.

Hope this helps! Good luck!!

Shorty :)

max number of lines out at one time per person is 3 with up to 6 hooks on each line. and yeah no licence required in QLD rivers only need it for some freshwater dams or if you trek over the border to NSW.

/>http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3045_ENA_HTML.htm

you should be able to find some more useful info on that website as well

Archived