What brand outboard is best??? any suggestions ple

loadsey

Hi guys, i've got a ub520 with a 60hp yahaha out board 2 stroke and need a bit more power due to carrying dive gear etc....

as this is my first boat:laugh: , any suggestions on the best brand ie reliable/ecenomical.

I'm thinking a 90hp 2 stroke due to money constraints....

thanks for your help....B)

Talk about opening up a can a worms.

All I can say is I have a Evinrude 60Hp E-Tech and I have no probs recomending one. I can't/Won't comment on other motors as this is the only one I have owned and used.

Works like a 2 stroke for power but is silent and economic like a 4 stroke.

the 2 cylinder models are up to 33% lighter than competitive outboards. No maintenance for three years. No oil, no problem. Longer engine life. Cleanest engine in the world. Uses less fuel. Runs quiet. Full-throttle from day one. Stay looking like new.

http://www.brp.com/en-AU/Products/Evinrude/Showroom/

Post edited by: polyphonic, at: 2007/07/11 18:15

For older smaller engines I like the 2stroke Evinrude/Johnno's outboards.

For a modern outboard small to large I really do like the looks of the new EFI Merc range but if I was after something enviromentally friendly I would swing towards the 4stroke Honda's.

With all this said it really depends on what type of hull it was going to fitted up to and the conditions that it will be used for......

Yeah need to know what type and size of boat (assuming a 5.2m by that model number, but high sides, alloy, glass or what?

I see a new 350hp yamaha V8 outboard advertised in the latest bush-n-beach! Apparently you just swap it for your house keys....

My cousin had a southwind 6.2 longboat. Next size up from the UB 5.20. Originally fitted with a Yammy 80hp 4 stroke. Went real well for 1000hrs refitted with a 100 hp yammy 4 stroke, sold it with 450 hrs on new motor.

My suggestion is a 80 hp 4 stroke will be ample. As with the 100 hp we never used all the power , but it was nice to know it was there.

4strokes are quite & smooth as well as fuel efficient. TMOA.

yeah sorry guy's, its a glass long boat (even tho it's 5.2mtr long) centre console and yeah as its my first boat it's great but since i do a fair bit of diving around curtain and hutchies etc as well as chase tuna etc in the bay i'm thinking just that little more...

thanks for all ur advice too guy's......:)

Have a look at the efi tohatsu range may not be as technology advanced as some of the others but they are japanese built and go forever. In the lower hp range some of the other brands are just rebadged tohatsus.15 hp mercury super is a 18 hp tohatsu.

The difference in price between 2 stroke and a four stroke will take a long time to recover if you get a fuel injected 2 stroke. There is very difference in actual consumpion the only difference is the two stroke oil but then you have to take into account the extra servicing costs on a 4 stroke.

A 90 tldi tohatsu weighs in at 144kg in longshaft

A 90 honda is 169kg

And a Mariner/ Mercury 90 4 stroke is 175kg.

Another hint if buying a oil injected 2 stroke check where the oil tank is some of the under cowel oil tanks are a real bugger to top up if there is a bit of a sea running but that should be a rare occurance.

See if you can get your hands on a AFN publication called Andrew Nortons Marine and Motor Guide. Mine is a year 2002 publication and it is a bit out of date rheir website is www.afn.com.au and email os sales@afn.com.au and the ISBN number is 186513029X.

I got the info on the above motors from it. If you are coming to the swap meet Let me know and I will bring it along.

Ray

Archived