Hammerhead + 50 Bonito

The Mad Hughesy

Morning all,

After having my new bot serviced this week, it was time to get it out on the water. We headed for some beacons to float some shark baits out and spin for some mackerel too. Long story short, not one mackerel to be seen, but 50+ bonito were caught on halco twisties. They were a bit of fun to pass the time while waiting for the shark rods to go off.

Only one run for the day which resulted in a 1.2m hammerhead which was caught on pike eel. It was only a 5 minute fight, with it only in the boat for 2 mins before the hook was removed, tag was inserted and she was released. Was an awesome sight to see her swim away strongly as hammers can sometimes struggle to after being caught. The pic doesn't do it justice as there looks to be a lot of blood :2_grimacing:, but it was a perfect hook set in the corner of the jaw. First shark for the season tagged and released, very happy. My aim for this season, is to tag and release as many as possible. I know doing so may rub some people up the wrong way, but at the end of the day im providing the possibility of obtaining valuable data on these beautiful creatures which may end up helping protect both us, and them.

111.jpg.2f149eb96a1a71bda52840ff5caa3b58.jpg222.jpg.3f802c004261bd355a6bc1d156634a5a.jpg333.thumb.jpg.84a80518fc616db671886f0ed3b542cb.jpg

Archived