Scarborough Boat Harbour Landbased

Tightlinez

Hi new to this 

I was hoping to get some advice about fishing landbased at scarborough boat harbour on the boat ramp side ive fished here quite abit but am getting sick of the bream and after something bigger ive recently set up two rods a bigger outfit of 10 ft surf rod paired with a baitrunner normally use whole pillies gang hooked for something bigger and then a 7ft estuary set up for smaller species i switched from prawns to mullet for bait as it last abit longe. Any advice on what/how to target species would be much appreciated 

1 hour ago, Tightlinez said:

Yeah i think so ive hooked up to something big a couple times but always broke off mightve been the resident turtle there ill try live baiting around there see how it goes whats a good rig for live baiting around the boat harbour land based

Hey Tightlines. Welcome to the site. I just use a hook on the main line for livies but this would depend on what line you are using.

There would be large cod and mangrove jack in the area. Both of these will take live bait. The 10 foot rod will work against you if you hook a large fish but will be better for casting and searing fish away from snags. 

I hope you get amongst them. Please post up some pics of any fish you catch.... even bream :)

19 minutes ago, Tightlinez said:

Thanks mate

Im using braid atm but may switch to mono..so you suggest a hook with no sinker? What problems would the 10 ft cause me? 

And no worries hopefully i get the chance to post some pics

I just think for the area your fishing, if you hooked something large, youd be fighting the rod more than the fish (with the 10ft rod)

if it were me, this is the rig id try...

10-20lbs main line with a ball (2 ball size, larger if it moves in the current) sinker tied to a swivel. then 40-60cm of 20-30lb trace with a size with maybe a 4/0 circle hook. Pin the hook through the back of the live bait. if you do this and after a few sessions you don't get anything worthwhile. change spots.

2 hours ago, christophagus said:

I just think for the area your fishing, if you hooked something large, youd be fighting the rod more than the fish (with the 10ft rod)

if it were me, this is the rig id try...

10-20lbs main line with a ball (2 ball size, larger if it moves in the current) sinker tied to a swivel. then 40-60cm of 20-30lb trace with a size with maybe a 4/0 circle hook. Pin the hook through the back of the live bait. if you do this and after a few sessions you don't get anything worthwhile. change spots.

Yeah i only chose the surf rod for cast distance and to stear away from snags

Thanks for the advice on rigs as soon as the wind dies down ill get out there and try it

2 hours ago, Rodnreel said:

Tight... what breaking strain line and leader are you using on both set ups?   When you say "broke off", are your knots failing or are you getting bitten off

30lb main line and now 50lb leader as i fish alot of rocky areas and come across afew tailors for the lighter rod i use 10lb main and 20lb leader the first couple times my knots failed but more recently my lines been bitten off

OK, so I would be using fluro leader for a start, handles the rougher structure better.  Keep your leader long, to me 40-60cm is to small, not enough freedom for bait presentation, u r using a 10ft rod so 1 - 1.2m leader and the lightest sinker u can get away with.  Livies, trim 1 fin, the fish will swim in circles and the uneven motion will trigger an attack.

Lighter rod, go long shank bait keeper, black version from Mustard, Fine Worm Ultra Point, Ref: 32813NPBLM and I'd drop my leader back to 12lb but I fish light and I've been doing for a lot more years than many so... 

Don't fish hard to the hook, leave some slack line for the fish to take up

These big versions, let the bait runner do it's job, when the fish stops its 1st run then strike but if you're using circles don't strike just left and let the hook set itself

Tight lines

1 hour ago, Rodnreel said:

OK, so I would be using fluro leader for a start, handles the rougher structure better.  Keep your leader long, to me 40-60cm is to small, not enough freedom for bait presentation, u r using a 10ft rod so 1 - 1.2m leader and the lightest sinker u can get away with.  Livies, trim 1 fin, the fish will swim in circles and the uneven motion will trigger an attack.

Lighter rod, go long shank bait keeper, black version from Mustard, Fine Worm Ultra Point, Ref: 32813NPBLM and I'd drop my leader back to 12lb but I fish light and I've been doing for a lot more years than many so... 

Don't fish hard to the hook, leave some slack line for the fish to take up

These big versions, let the bait runner do it's job, when the fish stops its 1st run then strike but if you're using circles don't strike just left and let the hook set itself

Tight lines

Thanks mate that helps alot now i cant wait to get out and give it a go

Do you mean trim the fin on the side? Sorry i know some questions are abit ridiculous.im guessing that its best to use a running sinker rig with a small sinker for livies and id presume that this is the same with dead baits aswell? 

The set up for my lighter rod is this a good all rounder set up for most sepcies that take dead baits and how big of a hook 

Never a dumb or stupid question mate, ask as many as you like.  Yes, sorry I left out pec fin or side fin.  When land based you that livie on as much leader and with as little weight as possible.  Even large floats using a running stopper can be used or if it's night, try using no sinker at all provided you can still cast to a strike zone.  Keep in mind the big fish will come into the shallows under the cover of darkness on  a rising tide.

Archived