Pinkenba Boggy Creek Landbased

Tightlinez

Hi guys after some more advice on another place i frequently fish 

Anybody have any landbased advice about boggy creek in pinkenba i fish here quite frequently i nornally get the normal bread and butter species (bream,flat head) ive caught a tailor here and a cod aswell but wonder if theres any other species that i could target 

I fish off the bank to the left of the boat ramp and cast baits into the current and let it drift out until i feel bites then leave it there and wait any advice about rig setups and bait presentation that im maybe not doing would be appreciated 

I use  10ft rod with baitrunner 30lb braid as its pretty rocky there with a sz 5 or 6 sinker and 50lb leader down to 2 snelled 4/0 or 5/0 hooks i use either mullet strips or whole pillies for bait.the current is strong thats why i use heavy sinkers and dont like using live bait is this wrong?

My second rod i have 10lb line with a sz2 ball sinker tied to a swivel and 20lb leader with a small hook and mullet for bait 

I get the feeling the technique im using is wrong but dont know what else to do

When I visit Brisbane for holidays, I always get good bream in the Brisbane river by fishing unweighted prawns close to the snaggy banks/ mangrove roots on high tide. That's using light gear (6 pound braid, 10 pound leader). Your 10 pound outfit may be ok for that, maybe invest in a castnet and fish large live baits on the 30 pound outfit; 30 pound braid and 50 pound leader is pretty hardcore - maybe use it to target bullies and salmon with big mullet; I'm no Brisbane expert but I think overly heavy for general fishing there though so may as well use it to target big stuff.

I'm not overly experienced with fishing the Brisbane river (I'm from Cairns), but I think using mullet strips and pillies may be just using candy for endless pike eels and catfish; maybe switch to castnet caught live prawns and mullet so better chance of something with scales!   

I don't know the exact spot you're fishing mate but I'd say downsize your leaders a bit. Like Tiotiny said, use your larger set up if you want to target bullies or threadfin salmon. I'd try to drop your leader to 30lb and only up it if you're getting busted off.

Best to use livies for this because as he said you'll be harassed by vermin otherwise. With the lighter setup I'd drop down to 10lb leader and see how you go. Use the freshest bait you can and use the lightest sinker you can that will still keep the bait near the bottom (but NOT anchored to it).

Good luck - let us know how you go.

50lb is pretty extreme. again, its an area that gets fished a hell of a lot. around that area, id fish a bit further up around luggage point. The bigger species like salmon and jew sometimes cruise the shallow areas hunting for bait fish. Plus its a popular flathead spot.

Even if you don't use live bait, fresh herring with the head cut off makes a great dead bait for a variety of species. I think youd find it stays on the hook better than pillies.

14 hours ago, tiotony said:

When I visit Brisbane for holidays, I always get good bream in the Brisbane river by fishing unweighted prawns close to the snaggy banks/ mangrove roots on high tide. That's using light gear (6 pound braid, 10 pound leader). Your 10 pound outfit may be ok for that, maybe invest in a castnet and fish large live baits on the 30 pound outfit; 30 pound braid and 50 pound leader is pretty hardcore - maybe use it to target bullies and salmon with big mullet; I'm no Brisbane expert but I think overly heavy for general fishing there though so may as well use it to target big stuff.

I'm not overly experienced with fishing the Brisbane river (I'm from Cairns), but I think using mullet strips and pillies may be just using candy for endless pike eels and catfish; maybe switch to castnet caught live prawns and mullet so better chance of something with scales!   

Hey mate thanks for the reply

With my heavier set up im trying to target salmon but no luck yet i think the area i fish is to far down for threadies i might drop the line down to 20lb or even 15 and see how i go

3 hours ago, christophagus said:

50lb is pretty extreme. again, its an area that gets fished a hell of a lot. around that area, id fish a bit further up around luggage point. The bigger species like salmon and jew sometimes cruise the shallow areas hunting for bait fish. Plus its a popular flathead spot.

Even if you don't use live bait, fresh herring with the head cut off makes a great dead bait for a variety of species. I think youd find it stays on the hook better than pillies.

Thanks for the reply i know its pretty heavy im thibking of dropping the weights down but dont know to what weight im gonna try abit further up in the next few weeks or so i might go throw my net around and use herring just have to find them from land and use them as live and dead bajt just see what works better any advice on a good set up as the current moves fast around there

You are right, the current rips through there under that bridge which is full of snags. In my opinion, less is best. Id rather get busted off on light line then throw out heavy leader and not get a touch.

Next time you go down there mate, post up a "going fishing" notice on the site, someone might go along as well and you may be able to learn some things first hand. Fishing close to river mouths etc after a big downpour of rain can sometimes produce good results as the freshwater can push all the bait out of the estuary's, and the bigger fish lurk at the mouths ready to smash anything that comes by them.

14 minutes ago, christophagus said:

Fishing close to river mouths etc after a big downpour of rain can sometimes produce good results as the freshwater can push all the bait out of the estuary's, and the bigger fish lurk at the mouths ready to smash anything that comes by them.

That would be right now! :) Hope you smash them

1 hour ago, christophagus said:

You are right, the current rips through there under that bridge which is full of snags. In my opinion, less is best. Id rather get busted off on light line then throw out heavy leader and not get a touch.

Next time you go down there mate, post up a "going fishing" notice on the site, someone might go along as well and you may be able to learn some things first hand. Fishing close to river mouths etc after a big downpour of rain can sometimes produce good results as the freshwater can push all the bait out of the estuary's, and the bigger fish lurk at the mouths ready to smash anything that comes by them.

Thinking of dropping down to 20lb for my baitrunner how heavy should i go for leader im hoping to use it for both live and dead baits on bigger species would it be a better option

And do you know much about snapper fishing around redcliffe ive been told redcliffe pier and woody point produce snapper and would a running sinker rig be ok

16 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

Thinking of dropping down to 20lb for my baitrunner how heavy should i go for leader im hoping to use it for both live and dead baits on bigger species would it be a better option

And do you know much about snapper fishing around redcliffe ive been told redcliffe pier and woody point produce snapper and would a running sinker rig be ok

Id go 20-30lb leader.

I have fished for snaps a little around Redcliffe. they are all around the peninsula, pretty much wherever there is rubble/reef you will find snaps as well as grassy sweetlip. A running sinker would do the job. Don't go too heavy on the sinker, just enough to hold it on the bottom.

Google maps is an awesome tool for finding reef around Redcliffe, there are many many locations to choose from

6 hours ago, christophagus said:

Id go 20-30lb leader.

I have fished for snaps a little around Redcliffe. they are all around the peninsula, pretty much wherever there is rubble/reef you will find snaps as well as grassy sweetlip. A running sinker would do the job. Don't go too heavy on the sinker, just enough to hold it on the bottom.

Google maps is an awesome tool for finding reef around Redcliffe, there are many many locations to choose from

Thanks again mate i might try a running sinker to start off  and might try a paternoster off the jettys thinking 20 lb main and 30lb leader might burley up off the jettys thanks again for all the advice hopefully get amongst them this weekend

38 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

POIDH! (Pics or it didn't happen...)

But seriously please let us know how you went. Even if it was rubbish haha. 

We love to read Fishing Reports.

Haha no worries mate ill post some up

Whats a good all rounder rod to pair with my baitrunner its a baitrunner 8000D gonna use it to target bigger species incase theyre lurking on both live and dead baits i had a shimano raider snapper rod before but i like a sensitive tip ive taken in all the advice given and will drop my main line down to 20lb and either 20 or 30lb leader with either 4/0 or 5/0 hooks maybe snelled

On 10/18/2017 at 9:38 AM, Tightlinez said:

Hey mate thanks for the reply

With my heavier set up im trying to target salmon but no luck yet i think the area i fish is to far down for threadies i might drop the line down to 20lb or even 15 and see how i go

i reckon 20lb mainline and a metre or longer 30lb leader, with a nicely presented live bait (nice big prawn or a 6 inch mullet), or at the least a fresh bait like a butterflied herring. 

another thought, going by the responses your fishing on a bridge? If so, something that works very well in FNQ is instead of casting away from the bridge, drift live baits right in amongst the pylons. I've never seen this done in SEQ, but if you try it, keep your 50lb braid on, and fish your live bait drifting it with the tide right under the bridge in amongst the pylons - dont be scared to get right in the snaggy country and fish a very heavy drag to basically muscle fish out from under the bridge. Use a very long leader to let the bait really swim (e.g: 2 metres) and pin the bait very lightly (like lip hook in the mouth, or very last joint of a prawns tail). Basically you want a very active live bait right in the faces of fish living in the snags. You will get busted off a lot if there's big jacks, golden trevally etc under there, but worth it if you manage to pull one fish in four out. A lot of my old reports on here are fishing this method.    

• 2 weeks later...

Archived