Fishing Whitsundays

Baitangler999

Hi there, I will be travelling to the Whitsundays next week and want to do some fishing, I will be running a 3000 reel with 15lb braid, bringing some squid jigs, hooks, sinkers, I would like to catch squid as bait and to eat (good locations for this) and bait up hooks with it to catch fish, what types of fish would I catch and where are good locations for this?

You have picked a good time of the year to target squid.

Are you land based or do you have a boat?

I have only been to Whitsundays once and we had boat,  we went out to hook island and there was lots of good ground for squid fishing.

Depends what islands your around. We went to Long Island and had a catamaran hired that slept 8 I used a Ugly stick paired with a similar reel and caught GT, Trevally and coral trout....... A couple of sharks and snapped off loads of times. It’s truly beautiful area up there! Enjoy! 

Beautiful place mate. I have fished the area a bit and have had some amazing sessions on the squid up on the reef flats on an incoming tide. Dropping a soft plastic along the edges of the reef drop offs will also bring a diverse mixture of reef fish and pelagics.

19 hours ago, Baitangler999 said:

I will be kayaking the islands and staying on the beaches, so some trolling from the kayak and casting on the shore will probably be the case

Wow sounds like a fantastic trip!!! Please take some photos and tell us how you go.

I agree with Ovington. Take a few lures with you just in case. 

If you find a long sand flat that is exposed at low tide you will find trevally and other species feeding as the tide comes in. They only need about a foot of water. It is a great thing to cast a soft plastic out onto the sand and bring it in. 

For squid they will hang around any rocky areas. They dont need much water and will be in the shallows as well as in the deeper areas. 

Mate very keen to see how you go. I'd love to do this one time. 🙂

Archived