Hi From Port Of Brisbane Moreton Bay

Hweebe

Back into fishing after being boatless for three years. 
Last boat was a trophy 1802 walkaround with 115 optimax. The opti was underpowered and had its gremlins. After being towed back a third time pulled the pin. Tried three local mercury dealers none could find the intermittent ignition problem. 

Pretty much a noob when it comes to boat fishing. Most of my fishing was in and around port of Brisbane / mud / harry’s / rous. Came home with more donuts then fish. Very frustrating but have put the deposit on a used 2012 bar crusher 575c.

Taking a different approach this time and hoping to learn as much as possible through the forums rather then winging it while on the water.

want to target: threadie, Jewie (in the river) and longie, makeral, whiting, squid in the bay

15 hours ago, Luvit said:

Welcome, this is the place to learn about any species. Someone will have experience targeting them. 

Besides your motor problems what what did you think of the Trophy?

The trophy 1802 was a heavy thing. I think if you are looking you would want a minimum 140hp on the back. I mostly fished 3 up and the 115hp opti struggled to get on plane bow really high up. I’d also get one with trim tabs. It doesn’t have a deep v hull but the weight meant it punched through Moreton bay chop really well once on plane. In terms of layout this really is the perfect compromise between a centre console and a cuddy. Maximised fishing room whilst still being comfortable. The walkaround was perfect for chasing Longies with one of us standing up front it gives really good high vision to spot bust ups. It also served as a really good casting platform. If u have a family the cuddy easily fit two small adults, kids no problems. The walkaround setup meant battling fish around the boat was no problem either. That’s the key benefit of walkaround with full access around the boat. This came in handy more than a few times. Serving as both a family and fishing boat keeping the fibreglass clean was a chore with blood and guts really sticking to the anti slip deck surface. 

The reasons I went plate this time are the things I didn’t like about fibreglass. Hard to clean, extra weight meant more fuel burn, harder to handle for solo fish, more fuel trailering. The perfect boat for me would be a walkaround plate but they just don’t make them with the size cuddy on the trophy unless u go longer than 18ft. 

Hope that helps, would I buy again? Yes but only if powered enough and if I changed to more family cruising and less fishing. At the moment I’m still able to fish more.

20 hours ago, Hweebe said:

The trophy 1802 was a heavy thing. I think if you are looking you would want a minimum 140hp on the back. I mostly fished 3 up and the 115hp opti struggled to get on plane bow really high up. I’d also get one with trim tabs. It doesn’t have a deep v hull but the weight meant it punched through Moreton bay chop really well once on plane. In terms of layout this really is the perfect compromise between a centre console and a cuddy. Maximised fishing room whilst still being comfortable. The walkaround was perfect for chasing Longies with one of us standing up front it gives really good high vision to spot bust ups. It also served as a really good casting platform. If u have a family the cuddy easily fit two small adults, kids no problems. The walkaround setup meant battling fish around the boat was no problem either. That’s the key benefit of walkaround with full access around the boat. This came in handy more than a few times. Serving as both a family and fishing boat keeping the fibreglass clean was a chore with blood and guts really sticking to the anti slip deck surface. 

The reasons I went plate this time are the things I didn’t like about fibreglass. Hard to clean, extra weight meant more fuel burn, harder to handle for solo fish, more fuel trailering. The perfect boat for me would be a walkaround plate but they just don’t make them with the size cuddy on the trophy unless u go longer than 18ft. 

Hope that helps, would I buy again? Yes but only if powered enough and if I changed to more family cruising and less fishing. At the moment I’m still able to fish more.

Thanks for reply. I was interested in but one when looking for a boat 20 months ago. In the end l bought Gradywhite 208 with a 200hp Yamaha 4-stroke. It goes very well but l would rather the max of 250hp was on it. 

I’m happy with my decision to go this style of boat for all the reasons you listed and others.  

• 1 month later...
On 26/10/2018 at 7:34 PM, Luvit said:

Thanks for reply. I was interested in but one when looking for a boat 20 months ago. In the end l bought Gradywhite 208 with a 200hp Yamaha 4-stroke. It goes very well but l would rather the max of 250hp was on it. 

I’m happy with my decision to go this style of boat for all the reasons you listed and others.  

So when are you upgrading to the 250? 

2 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

So when are you upgrading to the 250? 

If or when this one stops. They are a V6 motor with good torque and should get 2,000 + hours out of them.  Mine has done under 700hrs.

Being that it is already a 15 yr old boat it should do me for the life that I have the boat. 

On 10/12/2018 at 8:42 AM, Luvit said:

If or when this one stops. They are a V6 motor with good torque and should get 2,000 + hours out of them.  Mine has done under 700hrs.

Being that it is already a 15 yr old boat it should do me for the life that I have the boat. 

You could stick on of these on her!

Belated welcome to AFO @Hweebe - when are you expecting to take ownership of the Bar Crusher? Keep an eye out for a Wave Break Island (Gold Coast Seaway) social in early February that @tugger will post about as it will be a golden opportunity to learn some valuable mackerel secrets. Also, try for winter whiting in the Small Boat Passage/Rous Channel if central bay works for you. Drift til you find them. There was also a very good (and long) thread on fishing for long tail tuna on here - do a search for it as there was some excellent info.

Archived