Tilapia Cull Kurwongbah 21 st December

rayke1938

Hi peoples

Just a preliminary heads up that AFO will be having a Tilapia cull day at Lake Kurwongbah on Sunday 21/12/08

Details will be advised when we firm up the dates. looks like either myself or Feral will be organising as Angus busy with new job and the Classic.

Format will be similar to the previous event but prizes subject to sponsorship.

The running of the event will enable more funding to the stocking of the lake with more toga.

As an aside the bass that were released there earlier this year are now 15cm long so wont be too long till they are legal size.

Every tilapia that we catch will help their growth. This year some of the tilapia caught will be examined by a person from Griffith Uni as he is doing a thesis on Tilapia .

Cheers

Ray

I just did a search on kurwongbah tilapia and there is a thread for the last one just over 7 months ago with about 6 pages in it . small hooks and light lines were the go as the fish were very small. Unfortunately the photos did not survive the migration to the updated site.

Cheers

Ray

Yep, I'll bring my boy along to knock some water rabbits on the head.

Some of these tilapia can be a real surprise package, they can grow to a good size and fight quite hard. Picture freshwater bream.

Four lb braid with small bream hooks under a float will land the bigger ones.

I'm guessing something like a garfish rig would suffice for the little fellas.

Anyone get them on lures ???

@ kiwifisho

"Tilapia (Tilapia, Oreochromis and Sarotherodon spp) are declared noxious in Queensland. Two species (Oreochromis mossambicus and Tilapia mariae ) have established in Queensland. It is illegal to possess, rear, sell or buy tilapia. It is also an offence to release tilapia into Queensland waterways or to use them as bait, live or dead. Penalties up to $150 000 apply."

www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/1406.html

You're suppose to put them in a bag and into the bin, or bury them above and away from the water. Their eggs are said to be extremely hardy and can survive for quite a while outside of the water.

That sounds like it might be fun and a good way for this newbie to meet a few of the informative folks on here. May even talk the missus into coming as well and bringing the kids. I probably missed it but what time does it start and is it ok to later? Missus doesnt finish get home from work til bout 1130-1200

Thanks Justin

jeff f wrote:

i,ll be there

and i'm not comming %@$#&*# second this time

You were an absolute Tilapia smashing machine last time and unlucky to get done on the count back.

I don't suppose you would share your Tilapia bashing wisdom with everyone else.

By the way the average population size is approaching 20cm with some bigger stuff mixed in and of course some smaller buggers as well. This is a result of the big temperature kill off 2 winters ago.

The research on the Tilapia involves taking some fin clips to assist with a statewide genetic mapping of population structures of Tilapia. This is only a small part of the upcoming research on Tilapia and how to control them.

shayned wrote:

jeff f wrote:
i,ll be there

and i'm not comming %@$#&*# second this time

You were an absolute Tilapia smashing machine last time and unlucky to get done on the count back.

I don't suppose you would share your Tilapia killing mothods

paternoster under a float, size 12 hooks,small pieces of worm or prawn,dont wind in when you hook one let it swsim its mates will follow it and pick up the other baits tailing behind it so you get 2 or 3 at a time;)

jeff f wrote:

paternoster under a float, size 12 hooks,small pieces of worm or prawn,dont wind in when you hook one let it swsim its mates will follow it and pick up the other baits tailing behind it so you get 2 or 3 at a time;)

Jeff u r a legend for all the info u share on this site. Well done.:kiss:

Fishing lines

A person must not set a fishing line as a cross-line or use more than six fishing lines or set lines alone or in combination. Only one hook or an arti#cial fly or lure can be attached to a fishing line. Anyone using a set line must be no more than 200 m from the line.

from the dpi site...

looks like you can have six rods with 6 hooks all up, but not one rod with 2 hooks.

Mack_attack wrote:

Fishing lines

A person must not set a fishing line as a cross-line or use more than six fishing lines or set lines alone or in combination. Only one hook or an arti#cial fly or lure can be attached to a fishing line. Anyone using a set line must be no more than 200 m from the line.

from the dpi site...

looks like you can have six rods with 6 hooks all up, but not one rod with 2 hooks.

There went the bait jigg idea.

Mack_attack wrote:

Fishing lines

from the dpi site...

Rats.....thats a shame considering what the aim of the day is. To rid the lake of rubbish fish. Not to worry. We'll still hammer em.

Little Grey Men wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
Fishing lines

from the dpi site...

Rats.....thats a shame considering what the aim of the day is. To rid the lake of rubbish fish. Not to worry. We'll still hammer em.

when i'm hammering vermin i tend to ignore rules;)

Archived