swivels on hb lures.

kriso

Hey fellas,

i have noticed in a few pics from various mags people running swivels on there HB's. i was wondering if anyone here does this? have you noticed any diffrence in action? is this so you can tie a quick and easy blood knot and not loose any action from the lure rather then tying a loop knot?

also i notice its mainly on the larger lures and not the bream/bass style lures. is this cause the extra weight would effect it or make it spook the finicky breeds like bream etc.

i have had luck with Sp's but only ever realy caught fish with HB's by trolling or using poppers in the bust ups. so i dont know to much about fishing with HB style lures.

cheers

Kriso

Not necessary it just puts another potential for gear failure in the train.

A swivel is an anti twist device and lures do not twist in their action.

Quite a few of the " experts " recommend in not using a loop knot to attach the lure as the action can cause the loop to wear through .

Cheers

Ray

rayke1938 wrote:

Not necessary it just puts another potential for gear failure in the train.

A swivel is an anti twist device and lures do not twist in their action.

Quite a few of the " experts " recommend in not using a loop knot to attach the lure as the action can cause the loop to wear through .

Cheers

Ray

thats what i thought didnt know about the loop knot wearing from lure action though, i thought you only used swivels on lures like slugs

Richo80 wrote:

are they like hawaiian clips??

Just a little clip, no swivel, very small.

Exactly the same as what comes on 1/8 a switchblade standard, same size too.

A clip adds to the action as the lure is not bound directly to the line as a restriction and has some free movement.

seem to work ok, I guess the loop knot would be similar (which incidentaly i have not learn't yet)

cheers

Aaaah the loop knot! such a biatch!

Took me a solid half hour to tie the bugger the first time, but it seems to help the lure's action heaps.

Still takes me a solid ten minutes and about a foot of leader before i get it tied, but im getting there!

I dont think you would want to have a swivel when using a light lure like an sx40.. it would just make it harder to feel if the lure is swimming properly and probaly effect the lures action aswell...

Im yet to try those clips, they seem like a good idea tho. save a bit of time and effort. do they work aswell as the loop knot tho? i cant imagine the lure would be as free to move?

I don't see the need for a swivel on a hard bodied lure ???

Perhaps on something like a wobbler to prevent line twist, but I just use a loop knot for those as well.

Just keep practicing the loop knot. Do away with the extra bits and pieces that can and do add weak points in your connection to the fish. A well tied loop knot is as strong as hell. I change lures constantly during a session, metals, hard bodies and plastics....all of which are tied with a loop knot.

The few extra seconds I spend attatching my lures with this knot means that I have confidence in my gear.

I've used heaps of clips and snaps and I don't really like them.

Loop knot loop knot yay loop knot....goooooo loop knot.:cheer: :cheer: i like loop knots

I prefer snaps on hardbodies when trolling as it gives the tackleback something to grip when you get it snaged. As for casting I have never tied a loop knot in my life. I think its another one of those pers things. Mind you I dont do any deep sea fishing. When casting I use a snap where I think suited or I tie right to the split ring on the lure with a half blood knot, hasn't caused me any probs yet.

Chubbstar showed me the loop knot (perfection knot), and I'd tried it at home. I don't rate it as it is easy to pull apart sideways. Jayson said this wasn't an issue as the fish would pull back on it, but I am still not convinced. I have used a bloodknot straight onto the split ring, making sure it is seated in the gap. The lure looks well swimmy when near by....

Like the idea of a clip as swapping lures would be the proverbial piece of piss, and would lead to much more experience of different lure types.

Archived