Barra at the pin ?

pete8862

Hi to all,

I went out with a mate to the pin fri. night, to get onto some flathead. Left the boat ramp at Jacobs well at about 4.30 pulled our first flaty in about an hour & thought we would have a good night but nothing more came into the boat. We went back to the ramp in the early hours, I tried thowing a lure (just for fun) & got a 40 cm barra, can anyone tell me if they have caught any there before?.

I was sure I hooked one 12 months ago but I didnt get it in the boat

Yes would have been barra the beam trawlers pull up a couple every year in the Logan. There is a fishing park in headwaters of logan and could be escapees from there.

There was a 90cm one caught in Hillyards creek at wello 2 years ago.

Good on you for releasing it. Its closed season for them now anyhow but dont know what its chance for finding a mate but we can always hope.

Cheers

Ray

TerryH wrote:

Sure it wasn't a small Jew? Seems very strange for a barra to be had down here as (excluding a few exceptions) they don't occur naturally this far south.

If it was, great catch:)

a lot of fish from up north seem to be making their way down here, they musta heard about the new green zones/ no fish zones

A couple of years ago I would have been massively sceptical of this.

But how times are a changing haha.

I have also heard as Ray said the trawlers pull in a couple a year from the logan (some big) so I can certainly believe it.

How bloody hot was it on Saturday!

Angus

About 3 months ago old mate in the tackle shop at Jacobs Well boat ramp had one in his bait freezer. He was proudly showing it off and saying he found it dead and floating near the powerlines i think he said. It would have been a solid 70cm. Sounds like it escaped that farm and couldn't handle the change in water conditions.

amatis wrote:

About 3 months ago old mate in the tackle shop at Jacobs Well boat ramp had one in his bait freezer. He was proudly showing it off and saying he found it dead and floating near the powerlines i think he said. It would have been a solid 70cm. Sounds like it escaped that farm and couldn't handle the change in water conditions.

Well, there you have it doubting Thomas`s, you do have barra(frozen) at Jacob`s Well.hahaha

Archived