Braid

Richo80

Im a beginner i have always used mono line , was interested in maybe upgrading and purchasing braid to go on a lil spin outfit for throwing soft plastics etc. Using lil Berkley gulp plastics.

A few Questions

1: What weight braid should i purchase

2: what brand is suitable for a beginner using soft plastics

3: does it matter what colour i purchase , and what dom the different colours refer to , what are they used for , ta and also any other info that anyone might have in regards to this topic , much appreciated!

I concur Jeff.

When i started getting into fishing a bit more i started with 6lbs crystal fireline and found it to be pretty easy to handle and at a pretty decent price too.

Richo80 im not sure of how novice you are but ensure you buy some leader material, or even use a bit of mono as a leader. As it is well know that braid is highly visible underwater due to the way in which it is constructed.

Another thing that I find annoying with braid and leader is when fishing snaggy areas and looseing gear, I get sick to death of re-rigging leaders. So much so that I'm going to spool my spare spool with 6lb low steach mono.:dry:

My first braid was 6lb Sufix, I now use 6lb Nitlon PE and I think its a great braid. I belive useing braid in deep water is a must and would never go back to mono off shore.

Good luck mate.

Jayson

chubbstar wrote:

Another thing that I find annoying with braid and leader is when fishing snaggy areas and looseing gear, I get sick to death of re-rigging leaders. So much so that I'm going to spool my spare spool with 6lb low steach mono.:dry:

My first braid was 6lb Sufix, I now use 6lb Nitlon PE and I think its a great braid. I belive useing braid in deep water is a must and would never go back to mono off shore.

Good luck mate.

Jayson

Have you tried changing your knot Chubbs

I use 4 lbs Stren ( breaks a lot more than 4 lbs ) with 8 lbs leader. Allbright on the leader to a half Blood on the jig, when snagged the leader breaks at the Jig. I find this happens with other leader/ main combinations. Just a matter on a new jig head and you're fishing again

Similar to Jeff, when you have changed enough lures for the leader to get under about 1.5m time for a new leader and a new knot. Keeps everything nice and fresh. (Oh if I am catching big fish, new lure knot after every fish, check leader knot carefully after every fish)

• 3 months later...

Is all this info still relevant, no updates? And what is the go with spooling with braid? Same as spooling with mono? And although the braid is rated at say 6lb, everyone seems to think it has a higher breaking strain, what gives?? Could I go 6lb braid, 6lb mono leader? How does the visibility of a line matter if there is a dirty great hook and sinker where the fishes noggin is..............

spooling you want to put some mono backing on the reel, just spool some cheap mono, enough to cover the spool base a couple times, then do whatever knot (uni-uni, etc) you use to tie the braid to that, then wind the braid on.

6lb leader is fine with 6lb braid it all depends where ur fishing. its important because anything visible thats not your lure will put the fish off to some degree, a stinking great length of highly visible braid will spook alot of fish. sure they might already be a little wary of the hook adn sinker but the visible line is just adding to that

jeff f wrote:

dunno but it works mate

i'd like to give mojiko tournament braid a plug

the more i use it the more i like it super thin super limp

good abrasion resistance doesnt fluf or fur great knot strength

I can vouch for this stuff as i have busted my cherry on the mojiko braid and jeffs right it kicks some fish but?:laugh:

I only recently changed from fins braid to Daiwa TD Sensor and in all honesty it was worth the jump in price. Not only is it a much smaller diameter but its also alot more reliable at the knot and when fighting those bigger fish. The only thing to note with any of the top end braids is that when you start to get down to 4lb and sometimes even 6lb that because of the thinner diameter there can sometimes be issues with wind-knots. But a good reel with a decent roller bearing will help stop this occuring.

Cheers

• 9 months later...

Wind the braid on. Tie the backing line on and fill the spool to where you want it. (I'd use the 12lb)

Wind the lot off on to a spare reel. Then wind it to another spare reel. It should now be mono on top, tie to your reel, wind it on. Should now be filled to the right depth.

Archived