Mahi mahi Land

Ash

Well, im back from Vanuatu, unfortunetly. I can honeslty say the place is the coolest country i have ever been to. The poeple, culture and landscape are amazeing.

Now, the fishing.

We have al heard of the great fishing there, so i was rather excited about wetting a line over there. I had the permission from the mother ship (wife) for a full day out and i was ready to go!

Then we became little bit unstuck as i looked for chartered business. Lots of them, awesome! But the prices!!! Looking at the nices big and shiny boats, it was going to cost about $1000 for a half day. Now i love fishing, and even with the wife giving the nod, i couldnt bring myself to spend that much. So, found another charter, less shiny and big, and was half the price! Awesome! Booked in! The latest fishing reports for last couple of months not hot, but who cares?!

We get out there and board our \"banana\" boat made locally, by a \"lowkal mun\", and start trolling. At over 2metres you could stil see the bottom and reefs etc the water is so clear. Not much happens for about 20min, then \"ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ\" the guy beside me has his drag go off! After a good fight he brought in 70cm+ skip jack. We trol some more and wait.And wait and wait and wait. I honestly thought i was only going to write a report for the dude beside me and i had gotten squat so far. Then, after 45min or so my drag goes off and i start fighting rod, chanting mahi mahi the whole time like a little prayer.After a very decent tussle, it turned out to be another skip jack. 50cm+ so wasnt too disapointed. In a way its okay as its the tradition to let the guys who take you out to keep the fish. They then give it to either their tribe or the tribe the owns the area they dock the boat. And i dont think they would have been inpressed by me releasing a mahi mahi if i had caught one. They are so beautiful alive, i couldnt kil one.

On the way back, amidst schools of flying wish glideing around us, a Trevaly took my trolling lure. Not big, and not much fight as the it took the rod that looked like one of Terry's sharking set ups. I must admit though, absolutley beautful colaurs though!

And that was it

Post edited by: Ash, at: 2006/12/12 08:57

Post edited by: Ash, at: 2006/12/12 09:00

post-81-144598403664_thumb.jpg

We went last Chrismas and over the New Year. But look below the Wahoo's head, those were our tuna, tiny compared to yours. Also, there was no esky, so for 6 hours, the fish were lying on the bottom of the boat:laugh:. You look like you had a good day weather wise. It was raining for 1/3 of the time and it was freezing during our trip. The guys also kept the fish, which we were glad for as we wouldn't have eaten them.

• 4 months later...

Archived