Moreton Island 16th - 18th December

Angus

Iceknight: The shark was released, and returned to the depths very strongly, what's your point iceknight?

Did you contact Rex Hunt about taking fish out of the water when he was filming his show? Do you take other fish out of the water?

If anything mate, sharks are far more tougher than your normal bread and butter fish, and yet I don't see you complaining about them (other fish) being taken out of the water.

Fisher_191: The sharks were caught on 100lb, however you don't need that heavy a line to catch that. I was fishing 60lb, and I believe I could have caught those two sharks on my Okuma.

Tackle: Angus is a little incorrect about the pricing of the tackle. Each trace would cost about $20-50 (depending on the hooks). The line (big bulk spool) is about $90, which spools up the reels anywhere between 3-10 times (depending on your reel size and line weight). Getting busted off wasn't going to cost us $150. Needless to say, it is an expensive form of fishing.

Hook Size: I believe the hookup that angus lost was on 18/0 hooks, and my big bully was an 18/0 and 16/0. I could be wrong, but I think that was the rigs. What makes me think that is because we rigged up 2 decent sized eels (about 80-1m long and chunky) together.

Rods and line: When awake, all the rods were being moved in and out according to the tide. When we were sleeping, they lines were buried.

Knots: As Angus said, the fat was used to lube up the knot so it could be tightened as much as possible. How tight you might ask? Picture two guys pushing/pulling and leaning as hard as possible in opposite directions.

To carry on from what Angus was saying about the knots and gaining a 1% advantage, consider this:

Why leave a larger room for error to occur when you can reduce it's chance of occuring, or prevent it from occuring altogether? It's all about reducing or eliminating the chances of something going wrong.

I think someone who spoke to us over there said: \"Anyone can get a hook up, but you guys look like you can land them.\" That was after he saw the amount of work we put into each rig.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/12/21 23:09

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Terry, well congrats on catching that shark it was a real beauty you got. I can't remember if I've read it elsewhere and forgot, so sorry if that's the case, but how much would that shark actually have weighed?

Thanks for the above post you did with some really good info on how the pros do it. Still got some questions about what you wrote hope you can answer .... When you say you rigged up two eels, is that what Angus was talking about when he said the eels were turned inside out, or you just tie them together? Seems like the bigger bait you use the bigger the catch:) And when you say \"bury the line\", you mean actually dig a trench for it or just throw a bit of sand over it to keep it laying down flat so cars don't run over it and get all caught up?? Well thanks for answering my questions you guys are a big help in learning some new stuff hopefully I can put to use one day. Cheers, Fisher_191

Terry / Angus ... I've already asked this in a previous post but thought I'd ask again in case it got lost somewhere ... what knots did you use to set up your rigs on the moreton trip. I've seen people doing bimini knots etc. is that the best kind? and do you need to tie a double?? And what is the thickness of blue cable line you used ... is it 2mm, 4mm or 6mm etc. I've heard different things, such as the really thick stuff scares off smaller sharks, but obviously the thinner stuff may not be up to the job. Thanks for the info guys. Fisher_191

Eels were only turned inside out on the second night. What I mean by rigging up two eels was exactly that, two individual eels. This was achieved by using cable ties to tie the two eels together.

Yes, generally speaking the bigger the bait = the bigger the shark. Of course, you'll always get smaller sharks attacking a larger bait, and then even sometimes some of the biggest sharks are caught on the smallest of baits!

To \"Bury the line\", you don't need to dig a trench the whole way to the water. Just one small hole near the rod (to get the line at surface height), then periodically cover the line in sand to ensure it stays on the sand. Cars can still drive over it without picking it up.

Edit: Bimini Twist is one of the best ways to create a double. I believe there is also a plait (which is equally as strong - 100%), but I don't know how to tie that. After that, you can tie the doubled line on with a knot of your choosing. I believe Geoff Wilsons book of knots details each knot and which is best for what type of line etc.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/12/22 00:02

Terry, that sounds pretty easy then if you only have to cover the line with sand and not go digging trenches. I was picturing you guys on the beach with a trenching tool going for it, with a bunch of tourists standing around wondering what on earth you were doing:lol: I'm just wondering why you wouldn't do this all the time though, rather than having to continually shift the rods with the tide as it comes in and goes out? Based on what you've said, I would have thought it would be easier to have the lines buried all the time, and have your rods up the beach further, then you don't have to shift them all the time to keep at waters edge. Does having the line in the sand damage it in any way, such as the sand being abrasive, so you only do it for short periods? Similar I suppose how UV light can affect certain lines, well so I've been told:blush:

Of course ... that makes good sense about when to bury line and when not to, and obviously I should have thought of that myself:whistle: So how did you and Angus end up getting to go to moreton with Simon and James anyway? I thought they fished with a bloke called Scott or someone and others. Are you doing any more trips with them? I wish I could have come along myself to see such a huge shark. Maybe that could one day be a BRC event to fish for big sharks at moreton for those who are interested:cheer: :cheer:

IcEkNiGhT wrote:

hrmmmz... nice sharks boys.... i still see a shark high and dry for no apparent reason.... but thats your choice :)......

What do you mean no reason -

reason is they hunted, caught, got photos and let it go alive.

Reason is the thread we are reading.

Reason is clear to me - they are fishermen that practice reasonable, substainable and responsable fishing practices.

Woops - I sqatted a fly - call the greenies!

Excuse me ice but I am being a smart arse - with good reason.

Simon carefully sharpening the hooks before rigging the traces onto the main line with a bimini twist. I can tell you Simon hones those hooks so well they will hook a shark if it even see's the bait :P [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Sharpening.JPG

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/12/22 15:06

Post edited by: Angus, at: 2006/12/22 15:11

post-63-144598403814_thumb.jpg

A closer look at the baits. By using the zip ties you can both expose more of teh hook (by not reyling on the hook to hold the bait alone), as well bond it all together so it moves as naturally as possible. The ends of the ties are obviously removed so bait enters the water nice and neatly.

[img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Baits.JPG

post-63-144598403817_thumb.jpg

Here another interesting point. One would think while driving a bait out, even with the reel on loose drag there would be some resistance and thus holding teh trace would be difficult. However this has been solved by attaching a metal ring to the back of the Zodiak and clipping the trace on. Thus in effect the boat holds the trace not a person as you drive it out. This also means that the bait suffers no pulling or tearing.

The passengers job in the boat is to deploy the sand bag 1 secind after the bait has been dropped. All very systimised and effective. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Boat2.JPG

post-63-144598403825_thumb.jpg

Guest IcEkNiGhT

hey there brain d. you see i know people that seen the shark caught over there.. yes it was returned to the water .... after a considerable amount of time high and dry..... \"kill em all boys\" is one persons saying... altho i wont mention any names.. i dont have a problem with simon and james its just my opinion, and while im on the topic of opinions why is it when another user posted a reply it was deleated? this is supposed to be a forum for people to voice there opinions yes? makes me sick to think that webmasters here can deleat what they want when they want just to make them selfs sound better........

Guest IcEkNiGhT

POST REMOVED BY MODERATOR :: Content is Off Topic

To iceknight: There are rules about off topic content, and how they will be removed from the thread. If you wish to discuss your opinion on how the rules are being followed (or not) please start a new thread.

Post edited by: TerryH, at: 2006/12/23 11:50

HEY GUYS ITS XMAS.

Whilst I do not agree with a lot of posts on the website

I tend to keep to myself and do not speak out unless i percieve that its a safety issue or something is wrong and we as a group need to change things politically.

If I feel strongly about an incident I may PM someone and raise the matter that way, or else start a new thread about the principle or the subject/action.

Personally I have found this thread very informative although I will never go shark fishing off the beach.

I take my hat off to the boys for what they achieved.

The lesson that I have learnt is that meticilous preperation certainally will increase your catch rate.

Merry xmas

May the next one you catch be bigger than the last one.

Ray.

Angus wrote:

Simon holding the rod no harness or gimble while gets strapped into his. Thats an 8 foot shark on the other end! [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Simon-149b842d1f30ac5ec9a2e2c4c63f5fc7.JPG

What a great photo - He doesn't look like he needs a harness. Wonder how long he can hold it for?

Gday Terry ... is this a picture of Simon giving you a hand to hook up your 8 foot bull shark or is it a different shark again? And having just read Angus's article for about the 3rd time, can you tell me what is meant by being \"on strike\"? I'm guessing that one person is designated to be in charge of all the rods for a given time period, then you swap around or something .... rather than each person responsible for their own rod. Am I on the right track here??? Cheers, Fisher_191

Brian D wrote:

Angus wrote:
Simon holding the rod no harness or gimble while gets strapped into his. Thats an 8 foot shark on the other end! [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Simon-149b842d1f30ac5ec9a2e2c4c63f5fc7.JPG

What a great photo - He doesn't look like he needs a harness. Wonder how long he can hold it for?

I don't see the problem;) unless he ever expects to have kids that is:blink:

Thanks for the advice Terry. So the big bull sharks just do a big strong run then and hook up instantly then ... the little ones I normally catch (about 2 foot) tend to nibble at the bait, do a small short run, then nothing, then a bit more of a nibble and run etc., so it's difficult to know when to try and hook them. Think I just need to get a bigger shark then I won't have any problems. Fisher_191

It's not always like that Fisher_191. I could be wrong here mate but:

Not all big sharks just do a strong run, and even if they do you still have to make sure the hooks are set. I think generally speaking, it's the larger sharks who tend to play with the bait like you described. All the 2-4fters I've caught have just annihilated the baits in one hit.

However, it also depends on the location in which you're fishing. In some areas the sharks tend to play with the bait more, where as other areas the sharks will just take it and run.

In the end, each shark is different. There's no one set pattern that they all follow.

Hopefully Simon or James can clarify this.

Iceknight the simple thing is your comment is a lie.

I was one of the people present thorugh the entire weekend and the words \"kill em all\" were never uttered. On the contrary a great effort was made to release all sharks caught. Contructive cristism and opinion is appreciated on the site.

Accusation based on zero facts is not.

Angus

Guest IcEkNiGhT

WELL ANGUS! I NEVER SAID WHEN THE WORD OF KILL EM ALL WAS SAID.. OR WHO SAID IT.... YOU SHOULD THINK BEFORE YOU POST. AS IT WILL GET YOU IN TROUBLE CALLING PEOPLE LIARS WHEN THERE NOT. SO WHAT MAKES YOU THINK I SAID IT WAS SAID ON THAT PARTICUAL WEEKEND?

IcEkNiGhT wrote:

you see i know people that seen the shark caught over there.. yes it was returned to the water .... after a considerable amount of time high and dry..... \"kill em all boys\" is one persons saying... altho i wont mention any names..

Looks like you did to me?

Hey Ice

I reackon you have some value to add to the site so what about you let it go, back down and get off the soap box.

Mate understand your point and you have made your position clear, but maybe you should just leave it now.

Like when I first joined the site I came with preconceived ideas which ticked off the locals but for the better of the site I moderated my points (not my views)and actually voluntarily removed some of my postings cause they were not helpfull or supportive of the site.

The old saying - if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Mate PM me if you want.:)

Archived