targetting pike eels

nadders

Hey fellas, since i am just getting into sharking I'm looking for some info on actually targetting pikeys for bait.

do they eat red meat readily like freshwater eels? are there any tactics that will increase my chances of an eel specifically, or do i have to go and get all set up for threadies and jew to catch em like i usually do :P

cheers,

dan

You just have to keep an eye on them, They are bad tempered and think nothing of trying to get hold of you. I had a mate on night went down on the rocks to gaff 1 that i had hooked that was close to 7 feet longand as he was about to gaff it it launched up the rocks and grabbed hold of his foot, luckily he was wearing a set of steel capped gum boot and it took a hell of a lot to get it off his foot

We catch them out of a canoe at night. There is something terrifying about being that close to them. They have a tendency to pull down with their body/tail while their head is just out of the water at the side of the canoe. We always joked about one reversing and leaping into the canoe to cause all types of carnage.

One night we decided to use one for crab bait .... we where fishin in a tinnie. Caught the beast and clubbed it on the side of the boat ... and chucked it in a 20 litre bucket. The bugger came back to life and lept at my mate. I jumped up on top of the outboard and my two mates were both perched on the bow of the 12 footer ... while the slimey bugger went beserk in the bottom of the tinnie. Eventually we were brave enough to club it to death ... without putting a hole in the tinnie. We then cut it head off.

First and only one we ever killed.

Didn't get any crabs on it either.

nadders wrote:

Hey fellas, since i am just getting into sharking I'm looking for some info on actually targetting pikeys for bait.

do they eat red meat readily like freshwater eels? are there any tactics that will increase my chances of an eel specifically, or do i have to go and get all set up for threadies and jew to catch em like i usually do :P

cheers,

dan

you know the freshwater eels are a great bait for sharks aswell, and there is heaps of them at the lower weir at mt crosby , any type of flesh bait will get em , and they have all been over the mtr mark, so one will do you for quite a few trips, usually get up to 4 sharks on the one chunk of eel.any ways just some food for thought if you cant get the pike eel.

Archived