aussie fishing park (barra park)

Jords

watching clips of barra fishing from last years afc today, im looking at heading up to bli bli sumtime after ny's. i was wondering if anyone knew the rules there regarding catching your own bait? Ive been there before when the staff have walked around with a cast net and caught bait for people but would it be possible to catch some herring on miniscule hooks with pellet crumbs/bread?

also prices etc?

cheers

if i was you , I would use the pellets supplied , as thats what they are fed every night, i done a trip there a few years back and i tried lures livies (silver biddies and poddy mullet) and pilchards and got nothing yet the blokes that used the pellets cleaned up some big barra in the big boys pond, the lady on shift felt sorry for me and my mates and let us stay back and have a go on feeding time , we hooked 2 within 5 mins but dropped both of em...She just said it wasnt our day with a chuckle,, still some good fun , and i allways said if i go back i would stick to the pellets!!!

yeh i've been there several times, each with different results.

first time i went like 3 yrs ago the staff cast netted herring for everyone and the barra in the big-boys went offf on them.then the 2nd time a fella was using mullet strips and caught 6 or 7 in an hour. 3rd time a bloke was using live yabbies and caught a few. another time big boys was going off on pellets and nothing else got a touch.so i guess i will just go and have a look. would it be possible to catch herring on miniscule hooks (ive got tiny size 12 or 14 hooks?? ) - i'm thinking crush some pellets and just put tiny bits on or bread - when they were cast netting they used crushed pellets to get the bait schools in close to the bank

sorry roobs but you are wrong there mate

the herring are predators i've watched them hitting

schools of tiny fish on the surface and caught them for years on size 12 hooks baited with tiny 10-20mm

fish that we caught in a fine mesh dip net back in the days before anyone bought sabiki jigs into aus

werewolf they are the same thing

herring jigs are just the smaller end of the range of sabiki jigs

• 2 weeks later...

Guys do you have to keep the fish you catch from the 'Barra Creek" catch'n'keep pond ?

Or can you catch and release from that pond as well as the big one??

I might be heading up there next weekend to try and catch my first ever barra !

also, what other species are there in the mixed pond ?

Archived