Kayak Camp 2009 - EOI's

Angus

Hey guys at an excellent suggestion from Paul (Username Taken), i will be attempting to do something a little different for this years Kayak Camp.

Basically as suggestion we will take on the Upper section of the Brisbane River Canie Trail. I would suggest we do a bout half it over 2-3 days. This will leave ample time for fishing between actually tavelling.

The idea would be to liaise with Steve's Sports Tuition team so we have a moving camp. Thus the participants could fish leisurely knowing when they pulled up at the designated location a camp would be made and food provided.

Logistically there are a few things to work out and if we had the interst id make a trip up there and suss out the best spots for each night. Plus we could organise a car pooling arrangement to drop everyone back to cars to bring them back to the camp site at the end. Would not be to difficult at all!

Anyway guys let me know what you think of this.

Im assuming this would be a 2 night camp with 2 1/2 days fishing.

In regards to fitness, this is another reason i think half the trek, but more fishing is the main reason. at least we will be going with the current :) Worst case sceario we will have support crew with cars so id still encourage anyone to join in!

Cheers.

Angus

Dont think that you can camp at twin bridges any more it was all fenced off last time I had a look.There used to be some nice paces between Lowood and Fernvale with road access but council also may have closed them off. Schultzy would probably know.

If its not in March I will be in it.

Cheers

Ray

Angus,

Dont know the area, but as a last resort we could always pack up at night and find a country pub that can put us up. (or let us camp in the back paddock, we do it for car rallies all the time) I am sure the boys would put up with the hardship of a few ales and a warm bed.

Just to wet some appetites - the info from upstream paddle on the trip.

Wivanhoe to twin bridges

http://www.upstreampaddle.com/lowood.html

Twin Bridges to Savages crossing

http://www.upstreampaddle.com/fernvale.html

Savages Crossing to Burtons Bridge

http://www.upstreampaddle.com/savages.html

Burtons Bridge to Kholo

http://www.upstreampaddle.com/kholo.html

big dyl wrote:

bommie might be able to convince a farmer who has a property on the water just up from twin bridges for a camping sight:)

Mate if you could do that that would be UNREAL.

Make sure he knows we would have actual staff so we would make sure the place was spotless! Plus we would happily help him out a little financially as well. It would be good to have a good relationship with someone like that for future such adventures as well.

Cheers.

Angus

Tanya is super keen for this as well. I was not sure if she would be but she said even if she doesnt fish it would be an awesome trip.

So dont exclude the Mrs.

I think we will have to devise a price thats for paddle only participants just to cover their food, insurance etc :P

Angus

kriso wrote:

depending on timing i would be interested if there will be loan yaks available

Kriso im sure based on last time that we should be able to get some through both BLA and Viking.

If not dont worry as you have shot gunned my second spare Yak (a fully kitted out Espri).

Jeff F has my spare Pro Fish.

Tanya will take my other Espri and ill use my primary Pro Fish.

Cheers.

Angus

Angus wrote:

big dyl wrote:
bommie might be able to convince a farmer who has a property on the water just up from twin bridges for a camping sight:)

Make sure he knows we would have actual staff so we would make sure the place was spotless! Plus we would happily help him out a little financially as well. It would be good to have a good relationship with someone like that for future such adventures as well.

Cheers.

Angus

I'll go out there this saturday and have a chat with him

rayke1938 wrote:

What is it like rapid wise? I am keen but dont want to do a Brian.

Are canoes allowed?

Cheers

Ray

no serious rapids , but there is a log jam near lowood which means you have to walk it over land to continue, check out google maps sat pics, its a stretch that you dont follow the river , you have to paddle to the end of a cove , its just before the river bends to the left near lowood.. lots of gentle rapids!!

Bommie wrote:

Angus wrote:
big dyl wrote:

Cheers.

Angus

I'll go out there this saturday and have a chat with him

sorry, I went down to the south coast for new years and only got back tonight stayed a bit longer then expected:silly: , I'll go see him during the week

Archived