1st Sharking Trip

dan25

Hey guys

Just got back from the Park rd, Karalle (Brisbane River) Trying to catch my first bullie shark Land based. Was using 20cm pilchards for bait, but had no luck and didnt catch a shark ;) .

I did though.... Happen to catch my first Brisbane River Bream, Catfish, and Eel. All quite small, but still fun :cheer: .

Heres a few pics.

Not a bad bream, didnt measure. But guessing to be 22cm-24cm

IMG_45291.jpg

IMG_45091.jpg

IMG_45251.jpg

IMG_45191.jpg

another a small Cattie ;)

IMG_45271.jpg

I was also very suprised to see heaps of people wakeboarding and Skying in the water, with the emount of sharks ive heard being caught in the River, im suprised nobody doesnt know :ohmy: .

Hopefully, i have more luck next time B)

Thanks

Dan :fishing:

the skiers know whats in there, but hope they go for someone closer than they are, well thats how we used to think, also didn't spend much time in the water because of the fact, have actually been chased by a shark years ago, for about 25/30 mtrs, as i was ditching at fig tree, but only got my ankles wet.

Keep at it mate, you are fishing in good sharking waters up there! The river is hopefully coming back to normal after the flood, so they should be in there! Although that eel you caught is a freshie...

BTW - catfish will keep you busy there using pillies. Buy cheap castnet from Kmart (look for their 20% off specials) and learn how to use it. It takes a heap of practise, but worth it. Live fish in the 3 to 5 inch range get sucked down like lollipops. Choose a hook to suit, don't go too big or your bait will die and the sharks will avoid the hook. Pike eel fillet is my next favourite bait. Sharks love it and crabs / catfish aren't as keen on it;) There are plently of creative ways to suspend anchored baits midwater and on the surface too to avoid catfish when bank fishing too.

werewolf wrote:

Keep at it mate, you are fishing in good sharking waters up there! The river is hopefully coming back to normal after the flood, so they should be in there! Although that eel you caught is a freshie...

BTW - catfish will keep you busy there using pillies. Buy cheap castnet from Kmart (look for their 20% off specials) and learn how to use it. It takes a heap of practise, but worth it. Live fish in the 3 to 5 inch range get sucked down like lollipops. Choose a hook to suit, don't go too big or your bait will die and the sharks will avoid the hook. Pike eel fillet is my next favourite bait. Sharks love it and crabs / catfish aren't as keen on it;) There are plently of creative ways to suspend anchored baits midwater and on the surface too to avoid catfish when bank fishing too.

thanks mate

So there defintely in that part of the river??

If they are Im gonna go for another try sometime next week, hopefully the

water is just about back to normal then.

Im also, going to get a cast net like you said. Will i be able

to cast it from the bank. And if i catch some little fish in the cast net were abouts is the best place to hook them??

dan25 wrote:

werewolf wrote:

thanks mate

to cast it from the bank. And if i catch some little fish in the cast net were abouts is the best place to hook them??

Oh mate there is no doubt they are there alright.

That stretch of the river has produced many sharks for AFO members over the years.

Its also not a bad place for flathead and threadfin salmon.

Keep and it and good luck!

Angus

Angus wrote:

dan25 wrote:
werewolf wrote:

thanks mate

Oh mate there is no doubt they are there alright.

That stretch of the river has produced many sharks for AFO members over the years.

Its also not a bad place for flathead and threadfin salmon.

Keep and it and good luck!

Angus

ok, thanks mate :)

threadybuster wrote:

if u put that bream out then u might of got a shark lol

Live bream are pretty good shark bait threadybuster is correct. Stay alive for ages kicking around thus attracting sharks.

Just make sure they are at least 23cm as legal size limits apply just the same to bait as to keeping fish.

Angus

Pin them high, in the shoulder or a bit futher down the back. Keep the hook away from the lateral line or it will die fast. You certainly can cast net from the bank. The only way you can figure out where it is safe to do so is try and see. I've trashed a lot of nets from snags but have got pretty good at reparing them too lol:P

A lot of people try super tiny nets to start with too. I'm only a shortie but can throw a 9 footer no probs. I learnt on an 8 but find the 9 spins out better. I have tried a friends 10 footer and I could barely throw it lol. I actually wonder if it was a 12 footer as there was a huge difference between my 9 and his "10"… I've only ever used mono nets on other peoples recommendation. I've never tried cotton nets. "Apparently" they get really heavy once wet, but I think they would hold shape better.

Archived