The " thready" is ready.

rayke1938

Well after a bit of work and a few mods the yak that I won at the classic is ready for its maiden voyage tomorrow.

I have named it " thready" after the fish that won her for me.

I am going to Somerset tomorrow morning with Feral and Cameron for a test run.

A bit of a lesson in restraint in that I have limited myself to 14 lures and 4 spinnerbaits and 2 rods.

Here she is loaded up on the hiace ready for action.

IMG_0393AFO.jpg

I have fitted an 28 lb minkota to her as I am too unfit and old to paddle.

IMG_0384AFO.jpg

The rope running forward is my tilt mechanism.

Took a bit of fiddling to connect up the steering using the old rudder machanism.

I had to fabricate a small box section of scrap alluminum . I cut a hole through the middle of it and attached it to the shaft of the kota using set screws.

I think that the steering may be a bit twitchy and may have to experiment a little more with it but for the moment I hope to be able to keep on course using my hands in the water or using the paddle to create drag as needed.

IMG_0388AFO.jpg

I had to shorten the shaft of the kota by a few inches and removed the speed control head and extended the wiring so that I could have the speed control handy.

IMG_0385AFO.jpg

You can also see the rod holders and the sounder that I have fitted.

I ended up sickaflexing the transducer to the inside of the hull rather than mucking around mounting it externally.

The rod holders may be relocated. They are ok if I use short butted rods as I can tuck my feet under them whilst under way and still operate the steering.

I utilised a rod holder that was in the yak but I will probably remove the head unit to a more convenient location later.

Here is the head unit. I had to extend the shaft a few inches using a bit of plastic tubing.

IMG_0391AFO.jpg

I have pinched a few ideas from the AKFF site one of them being an improvised deadmans switch in case I fall out. I am using bulldog clips to connect the battery with a short piece of cord tied to one of the clips and I will connect the other end to my wrist.The idea being if I fall out the cord will disconnect the power to the motor and will also keep the yak close to me.

IMG_0386AFO.jpg

Here she is all ready to go.

IMG_0384AFO.jpg

No doubt there will be more mods to come after the test run. I tried to get everything in place despite my missus saying look at the crazy old coot sitting in "that thing" like a little boy with his first train set.

Cheers

Ray

Ray with an Electric, Cameron (Clawhammer) in a Hobbie, and me paddling, I reckon I know who will be buggered tomorrow and it wont be them!

Got an extendable tent pole tent pole strapped to your roof rack for loading?

I've got the other small battery on charge if you want me to bring it as well.

Archived