FOTM Chat - January '09: Shark

Angus

Might have some plans to target some bigguns. Hopefully we can get atleast one!

Just a reminder of our Hints and Tips section on the site:

/>http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=255:light-tackle-shark-fishing&catid=25&Itemid=77

Great article from Schutlzy (better once it's cleaned up from formating glitches!) Contains all the juicy info on fishing for sharks in the river!

Yay my first ever fish of the month entry is in with my PB 86 cm bullie I got on Sat. I know it should be easily bettered by the big tackle sharkers, but I'm pleased as punch lol. Plus it was my first sharking trip for over a year!:laugh:

So the challenge is laid down! Cmon Jeff lets see some of your 100cm+ sharks at Kooka. Cmon Terry wipe the floor with another 8 footer! :woohoo:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just pulled these two messages out from the entry thread as that's for entries only, and this thread is for the chat.

Benno:

mate the tough thing about having shark as FOTM is the rules state you must get a brag mat / measuring shot. i'm with you - no way in hell 6ft of whaler is coming into the boat to be measured! i9 let one go about 5ft earlier in the month for the same reason. i want one around 4ft which i can handle easily! great catch all the same mate!

wesfish:

your in the right frame of mind not bringing it onboard, we put a 6ft one from out there in a ten foot punt a few years back, my mate was nearly kicked out of the boat when it started thrashing, it broke a rod and sent every thing on the deck all over the place, there is some serious power behind them sharks when they thrash!!!! What line class did you get it on?

Wow that was actually a disappointing month of entries considering all the talk about sharks in the forum over the recent months.:dry:

So where is the judge?

We've got three entries, my little (although PB.) shark and RatKing and Terry both got rippers but don't have a measurement shot? :fishing:

werewolf: Bait was an 8kg ray. so might have been a bit bigger?

In all honesty, I'm not going to mess around with photos of a tape measure or brag mat. I don't carry brag mats shark fishing because our targets are over twice the length of brag mats so they're kind of pointless. usually its just Ben and I so we can't really tape measure photo it. Besides this is extra time spent on the beach where the shark could die. I'm not going to risk having to dispose of a dead shark at that size.

Anyway, in case anyone is interested there's a full report here: http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=5439

Archived