Filleting Fish on Board

Smiderman

Guys

Given the fishery chaps aren't prone to warnings, I'm just looking for a bit of wisdom regarding when you're allowed to fillet fish..

I was reading somewhere that you're not allowed to fillet your catch til you are on land and can't take them back on to the boat... blah blah blah.. Is that right?

Does this apply to sharks as well?

My dilemma is if I end up landing something decent I either head off home :( (since I've only a small boat & 26ltr esky), or need to get it filleted & on ice.

The esky is good enough for some decent fillets but is useless for whole fish (other bream etc) & a larger one isn't an option given space constraints

Skin, fillet and pectoral fin removal

In relation to coral reef finfish, a recreational fisher:

- must not possess, on board a boat, a fish other than in any of the following forms-whole, gilled, gutted or filleted

- may possess, on board a boat, a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm, and the skin and scales of the fillet are attached to the fillet

- must not return fish that have been taken ashore from a boat and filleted, and then returned to a boat, unless the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm and skin of the fillet is attached to the fillet

- must not possess a dead coral reef finfish unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish

- must not possess a live coral reef finfish unless the person or fisher intends to immediately return the fish to the sea.

In relation to finfish (other than coral reef finfish) a recreational fisher must not:

- remove the skin from a fish on a boat until the fish is brought to shore

- bring a fish ashore and remove its skin and return the fish to the boat

- divide a fish into portions other than in a way that allows an inspector to easily count the number of fish possessed by the fisher

- possess a dead Spanish mackerel unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3054_ENA_HTML.htm

Cowfish13 wrote:

- must not possess a dead coral reef finfish unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish

- must not possess a live coral reef finfish unless the person or fisher intends to immediately return the fish to the sea..

Slightly off topic, but does anyone else see a problem with this piece of legislation?

How can you realistically possess a dead fin fish if its illegal to possess a live fin fish unless you intend to immediately return it to the sea.

'I am sorry officer, I intended to throw it back in the sea, but it landed in my esky'

Booty: Would mean not to keep it alive in a bucket/keeper net so you can upgrade later I suppose. But yeah, as they say it, it's pretty stupid:D

Moparkev: As MichaelJ said, it's so you don't sell it. These limits and such apply to recreational fishers (ie us) who fish for their own food (or to give away to people they know for free) or fun. The pec fin rule also aplies to coral reef fin fish (tuskfish, sweetlip, emperors... those sort of fish)

Cowfish13 wrote:

Skin, fillet and pectoral fin removal

In relation to coral reef finfish, a recreational fisher:

- must not possess, on board a boat, a fish other than in any of the following forms-whole, gilled, gutted or filleted

- may possess, on board a boat, a fillet of a fish other than a Chinese footballer (blue spot) trout as long as the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm, and the skin and scales of the fillet are attached to the fillet

- must not return fish that have been taken ashore from a boat and filleted, and then returned to a boat, unless the length of the fillet is at least 40 cm and skin of the fillet is attached to the fillet

- must not possess a live coral reef finfish unless the person or fisher intends to immediately return the fish to the sea.

In relation to finfish (other than coral reef finfish) a recreational fisher must not:

- remove the skin from a fish on a boat until the fish is brought to shore

- bring a fish ashore and remove its skin and return the fish to the boat

- divide a fish into portions other than in a way that allows an inspector to easily count the number of fish possessed by the fisher

- possess a dead Spanish mackerel unless a pectoral fin has been removed from the fish.

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/cps/rde/dpi/hs.xsl/28_3054_ENA_HTML.htm

Ok correct me if I've got it wrong, I can classify a shark (and any other estuary fish for that matter) caught in the brisie river under point (B) and provided I dont skin it I can still take a fillet and bang it in the esky. right???????????

a

currently theres no legislation on sharks so do what you like with them

except whites wobbuys and grey nurse which are protected

just remember most sharks dont reproduce to quick so whilst it may seem like theres a lot of small bullies it wouldnt be to hard to knock there numbers

faulked wrote:

currently theres no legislation on sharks so do what you like with them

except whites wobbuys and grey nurse which are protected

just remember most sharks dont reproduce to quick so whilst it may seem like theres a lot of small bullies it wouldnt be to hard to knock there numbers

Thanks faulked.. what was what i was looking for cheers :)

Smiderman wrote:

Ok correct me if I've got it wrong, I can classify a shark (and any other estuary fish for that matter) caught in the brisie river under point (B) and provided I dont skin it I can still take a fillet and bang it in the esky. right???????????

a

jeff f wrote:

Smiderman wrote:

a

just make shure you know what is classified as a coral reef fin fish as there are some species that are caught in estuaries that are classified as coral reef fin fish

Archived