Christened the threadie at CIW.

rayke1938

After getting up at 3am for a dawn start and a lot of stuffing around I finally launched at 5am.

There seemed to be a bit of surface action at the launch site so I threw a few poppers and small h/bs and assorted spinner/ buzz baits for nil result.

Sounder wasn't working at first till I realised that the off button wont turn it on.:blush:

Found a few schools but may have been mullet as no interest in lures.

Then worked the edges around to the inlet just before the lock gates.

On one of the points I nailed what I thought was a monster fish until I got it alongside to discover that it was a pretty black and yellow eel around 4 ft long.

I was wondering how I was going to solve this problem when it chafed through the 10 lb nitlon leader and swam off with my last knols native. :angry:

I then got my first bass in the inlet. It would have been well over 40cm but no ruler.

Here is a photo of my feet with the fish..

P1060496AFO.jpg

I then got another one that was over 30. Here is another foot photo with part of the fish shown.

I will have to do a bit more practice of taking photos in the yak its a bit harder than I thought.

P1060497AFO.jpg

The breeze started to get up a bit making it hard to hold position and cast to the bank so I decided to troll around a bit.

I got another largish bass on the troll but it went for a dive when I got it close to the boat and wrapped the line around the prop so bye bye bass.

Whilst I was playing this fish unknown to me my other line also became wrapped around the prop so I got a bit of paddling practice going to shore to remove the lines from the prop.

I ended up losing both lures so it was an expensive morning.

Knocked off around 10 am the battery still seemed quite strong after possibly 3 hours of trolling and at least one hour was on speed 2 or 3 when I was punching into the wind. The voltage was 12.3 when I got home so I could have comfortably stayed another couple of hours but my bum was getting numb.

I have worked out another couple of small mods to do to Threadie the main one is to shorten the motor shaft another 6 inches so it doesn't draw so much water and maybe make it a bit harder for a fish to wrap the line around the prop.

I am getting a lot more confident in the yak but will NEVER join Terry and his mad mates off the Bribie blinker.

Cheers

Ray

welldone Ray a very nice productive session indeed :cheer:

the hot weather certainly brings up the heat i went surface breaming a few days ago on a kayak with a mate, using cicada lures and px45s and we cleaned up the area with bagging about 50 breams ;)

Archived