Best Jack Reels?

heidii

I have come to the conclusion that the main reason I cant land the jacks I hook is because of my reel. I have some shitty reel that even when i set the drag on hard that line still gets taken off. What is the best reel for the job? Which Reels have really good heavy drags?

This is a massively opinion driven question.

I have not caught a jack to speak of but as far as reels with good drags go, well...

I like my Shimano Reel so most of the middle to high range spin reels would be more than capable. For example I use Twin Power Reels. A twin power 2500 or 4000 loaded up with appropriate braid should be more than suffecient.

Overhead reel wise I have a Culcutta 200F which would also be perfect.

Do you use Spin reels or baitcasters more?

Angus

I would pick a Black Sheep but I am bias towards Diawa. Put that on a 7' med rod, load it with 50lb castaway and you can pull the plug out of Sommerset Dam.

You'll be able to feed line out, lock drag, thumb spool and manourve the rod tip so you can go head to head, toe to toe with the jacks knowing that your gear will not fail.

Where did you say the jacks are?

i've got an accurate cr30 , expedition and a dogfight for sale, if you can't stop them with these reels, i'm confident nothing on the planet will. lol

seriously, without knowing your budget, hard call, although i have been using a sustain 8000, and it's been doing a good job for the purpose it was bought for, so a 4000 might be ok, also the new reel from shimano called a sargosa are rated pretty well also, and with a drag pressure of around 10 kilo i read somewhere, just jump onto the motackle site for a geez

these are all spinning reels by the way

rob

also note the daiwa exceller oceano is a good value reel with some guts behind it, it's a jigging reel so needs to be pretty well up there, and i have found it to be ok so far, and reasonably priced around the 220 mark

The Drag Pressure on a 2500 Daiwa or Shimano has more than enough stopping power. I have landed Jacks on 4 lbs leader with no real concerns.

IMO a poorly set drag looses more Jacks than not enough drag.

Most people dont realise how much drag and pressure you can put on your gear.

Get yourself a set of Scales and set your drags properly. 1/3 of the Breaking strain and then a little bit more

you got me confussed leighton!:unsure:

your leader is 4lb,

you set the drag at 1/3rd of that

so actual drag is around 1 and 1/3 of a lb. :huh:

thats like, half a kilo of drag?? or did i read it wrong

rob

yep gottcha now, 'have landed' just wondering how many you lost fishing that light lol

noname wrote:

you got me confussed leighton!:unsure:

your leader is 4lb,

you set the drag at 1/3rd of that

so actual drag is around 1 and 1/3 of a lb. :huh:

thats like, half a kilo of drag?? or did i read it wrong

rob

yep gottcha now, 'have landed' just wondering how many you lost fishing that light lol

I am yet to loose a Jack to a Snag but do expect to.

I have lost a few Jacks running to much drag and pulling the hooks.

Yes 4 lbs leader and 4 lbs main [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/jacks_006_AFO-a710ca076047020815b086a213fcb5d8.jpg

yeah im with planetfonz, the weapon of choice up north where i used to live is a abu 6000/ 6500 loaded with 20-30lb nylon with a good stiff rod cos you give jack the bend in that rod and they got you. they are a good allround overhead and quite cheap. you can buy them in a combo for about 160 and the rods thay come mated with are perfect for jacks and barra. i recently also handled 3 nice mackeral and big trevelly and a couple of 80cm saltwater barra.

Thanks everyone for you comments

I would prefer a normal egg-beater real as i tried using my dads shimano charter special lever drag type thing last night land based and just couldnt cast it :blush: ..i gave up in fustration within 20 minutes..however if I did hook onto a jack there was no way it was getting off!! That reel was just awsume and so so so TOUGH!

I think I am liking the shimano Saragosa that "noname" mentioned because of the right up on the shimano website. "Saragosa is tipped to be a real work horse for saltwater anglers chasing big Kingfish, Tuna and everything in between."

Basically im looking for a egg-beater with a TOUGH drag around the price of $300-$350. Whats the difference between a 3000 and a 6000? Just the size or the toughness aswell?

heidii wrote:

Thanks everyone for you comments

I would prefer a normal egg-beater real as i tried using my dads shimano charter special lever drag type thing last night land based and just couldnt cast it :blush: ..i gave up in fustration within 20 minutes..however if I did hook onto a jack there was no way it was getting off!! That reel was just awsume and so so so TOUGH!

I think I am liking the shimano Saragosa that "noname" mentioned because of the right up on the shimano website. "Saragosa is tipped to be a real work horse for saltwater anglers chasing big Kingfish, Tuna and everything in between."

Basically im looking for a egg-beater with a TOUGH drag around the price of $300-$350. Whats the difference between a 3000 and a 6000? Just the size or the toughness aswell?

With that budget and a spin reel in mind id get a Twin Power 4000. You will get some change which I would use to get some nice braid and leader.

Cheers.

I agree with Leighton on the jacks being handled quite well on lighter lines and drags. Some of my best jacks have been caught on 4lb mono whilst hard bod fishing for bream around reefs in the rivers. Ningi produced a 57cm jack two yrs ago on 4lb mono right in the middle of the rocks.

Too many people think the more drag pressure you put on a jack the bigger the chance of boating him. Unfortunately it is plainly wrong, you will lose a higher number of fish and what does get away will most likely have quite bad damage in its mouth from trebles being torn out.

In most situations 8lb braid with a 15lb leader will land most fish hooked and faught outside of the snag. Even with 50lb line and a fish hooked inside the snag will generally reef you and the extra line weight will make it harder to pop off if you have to.

I fish 6lb and 8lb braids mostly now and seldom reach for the 16lb.

Jack.

I agree aswell that jacks can be handled on lighter lines.

Most people that encounter jacks for the first time end up getting smoked several times before landing their first and this can cause them reach for the heavier gear. Yeah the jacks can fight but the more u put in the more they fight and in most cases they win!

Just a gently pressure and some fancy rod action is all that is needed to land the biggun's!

My PB(58cm) was caught on a cheap $12 ebay reel loaded with 8lbs braid and 10lbs leader nothing special thats for sure but it worked so why the need for overpriced and overrated equipment for jack hunting? Beats me?????

myself, i havent caught 1 yet, don't target them but a mate got his first 1 a few weeks ago, his bloody first 1 at 63 to the fork. so asked him all sorts of questions. because this thing took off up along side the boat real quick, then proceeded to head for rocks, only then did he say that it went hard. and he was using a 15-24 kilo live fibre rod with a 6500 baitrunner with 40lb mono and leader, with a livie, beats me how, but he catches everything from whiting to snapper threaddies, u name it on this set up, also doesn't fish much, and no idea of what he's really doin,lol. as we only go out to catch up.

Dazzamcgee wrote:

I agree aswell that jacks can be handled on lighter lines.

Most people that encounter jacks for the first time end up getting smoked several times before landing their first and this can cause them reach for the heavier gear. Yeah the jacks can fight but the more u put in the more they fight and in most cases they win!

Just a gently pressure and some fancy rod action is all that is needed to land the biggun's!

My PB(58cm) was caught on a cheap $12 ebay reel loaded with 8lbs braid and 10lbs leader nothing special thats for sure but it worked so why the need for overpriced and overrated equipment for jack hunting? Beats me?????

I guess the reason I am looking for better, heaver gear is because i have been chasing jacks since november and have hooked onto MANY possible jacks, and EVERY time im getting broken off! My $30 k-mart reel is not helping either, my drag doesnt work at all. If I tighen up the drag fully, these fish still pull line of the reel! I am also fishing landbased which i think is alot harder than from a boat, and because of that, feel i need heaver gear. I just bought myself that Daiwa Exceler Oceano 4500J for $189, usually $300 so I dont think I have gone overboard at all. I am just sick and tired of going out and my gear/line failing, which is why im getting advice on the best heaver gear :)

noname wrote:

BLOODY HELL :ohmy: thats cheap, where from. they are a nice reel ay. you will be able to use that reel anywher from creeks to offshore jigging big kingies:woohoo:

I found this price at:

http://www.rayannes.com.au/products/rods-reels/daiwa/daiwa-spin-reels/daiwa-exceler-oceano-4500-j-189/

Then I went to my local tackel shop in southport (Tackel World) and they matched the price for me

Yeh i used the reel last night, and am very happy with it! Thats another reason i wanted a heaver, better real, for other big fish too!

I found this price at:

http://www.rayannes.com.au/products/rods-reels/daiwa/daiwa-spin-reels/daiwa-exceler-oceano-4500-j-189/

Then I went to my local tackel shop in southport (Tackel World) and they matched the price for me

I went and had a look and found the same as you good to hear that tackle world matched it :woohoo:

Cheers for the heads up I often find gear down south cheaper but when you add postage etc it's not alot cheaper now I will go and put it to the test ;)

Thanks Gaz

Archived