just Thinking......

goldnugget

Has anyone used, come accross, or heard of petrol/electric combo to power boats. What I mean is an electric prop powered by an onboard generator. I had some time sitting in the car while the missus was shopping and the mind began to stray which is why the question is asked. This would get around any restrictions on outboard in the more 'sensitive' waterways, no oil/emissions in the waterways, gennies are relitively inexpensive to purchase, and the electric motor/prop being a seperate item would not be engine dependant when it comes to repairs...stuff either and fix/replace them indipendantly. Also on top of that, generators are a heap more economical on the juice, and available in diferent fuel types. Sure it'd take a big gennie/prop motor combo to sit on 60+ km/hr but would suit probably most recreational craft.....what do you think?

I would think that if the risk of any contamination is eliminated..ie contained within the vessel, I would assume it would be okay....maybe worth checking out. Even those baby gennies (12V) for a couple of hundred bucks would power your leckie all day....even if only used to recharge the battery in small intervals.

Archived