I need another knob to twiddle.....

MoparKevUk

Thinking of getting a baitrunner reel. Been looking at an Okuma Endurance Baitfeeder Fishing Reel 60 that just about fits into my tight budget restrictions. Any good or anything better out there for about $75? Anyone know where to get it cheapest? Fishing Tackle Shop online seems the go.
/>http://www.fishingtackleshop.com.au/prod818.htm

They are a good baitrunner Kev, I was going to get one before I converted to baitcasters. I think the 60 is a big reel though! Have a look at em in a tackle shop beofre buying on line just to make sure your getting the size you want.

Mo Tackle have 20% Okuma's at the moment, you might be able to stretch your budget to the Avenger.

http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=126

It's to upgrade my Shakespeare XT60FAU reel on a Shakespeare Xterra BW70 medium action 5-10kg 7' rod. Can I downsize the reel then? Thought the 600 was a straight change out for the 60 to keep the combo matched. It's for sharking and off shore action with 20lb line. All help appreciated, thanks for the info so far!! B)

not a fan of graphite body reels, after a while they become flimsy and distort while retriving from my own experience...Spend the extra $$$ or even check out ebay if on a budget, i have 3 2000 size bait runners for less than $40 delievered with 7 ball bearings, stainless steel body and have lasted me at least 2 years with plenty of neglect, abuse and still going strong :) Ill PM their contact details Kev if interested?

Cheers

Eddie

I used to have endurance 60 baitfeeder. Caught a nice threadie and a couple of decent mahi mahi. It was ok for the money but shat it self rather quickly.

I would definitely save up for a shimano baitrunner or even get one secondhand. One of the first things I noticed with the okuma is the quality of most of its components were absolute rubbish. e.g. screws on it rusting to bits after a few months even though it was religously cleaned down with soapy water after every use. Have never had similar problems with shimano's cheaper offerings.

noname wrote:

the only baitrunners i use are shimano, virtually bulletproof. i'll bring the small 1 next time.

I can testify to that. I have a bro' who's a serial reel abuser.

He never rinses or services them, just throws them out when they seize up and gets onother one. He has a 6500 thats nearly 10 years old and still going strong!!!

hairyweasel wrote:

noname wrote:
the only baitrunners i use are shimano, virtually bulletproof. i'll bring the small 1 next time.

I can testify to that. I have a bro' who's a serial reel abuser.

He never rinses or services them, just throws them out when they seize up and gets onother one. He has a 6500 thats nearly 10 years old and still going strong!!!

he can chuck his old reels my way , i love a challenge of un seizing reels and making them good again :laugh: i too have a 3500 baitrunner that is going on 13 years old and has an awesome fish list of landed fish including my biggest thready... still needs to be serviced though every now and then mainly the line roller and the handle bearings or the shaft cleaned and new soft grease...but other wise it just keeps on going strong

Kev why don't you subscribe to "fishing world" magazine. You get a dozen mags a year, some issues have 2 mags (include boating magazine) a few fishing dvd's plus a okuma fishing reel with spare spool, delivered about 2 weeks from date of order.

I think it costs about $85 but value for all the above stuff

I've got four reels now now can't fault them :)

Well I've just received my Ebay cheapo special!

All hail the mighty Pelagic Xpro BR4500 Bait Leader!! $36 delivered after an auction battle last Sunday.......From Premium Fishing Online.
/>http://cgi.ebay.com.au/PELAGIC-XPRO-4500-BAITLEADER-SNAPPER-BOAT-FISHING-REEL_W0QQitemZ230327529427QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_15?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116 Mine is red and black, though.

Going to strip it and go through it to give it a fighting chance.

The Missus says "cheap is dear in the end", I'll see if I can prove her right! ;)

Roll on the full moon, and shark ahoy! B)

Archived