Lake Samsonvale 12/01/2007

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

TIMBO and myself headed down to North Pine Dam for a few hours fishing yesterday, Friday 12/01/2006. Got there at around 12pm and continued until about 7:15pm.

We were armed with our 2-4kg Bassin' combos. Tim had 6lb Fireline with 10lb Vanish Fluoro leader while I had 8lb Fireline with 12lb Nitlon Fluoro leader. We started off both with Spinnerbaits. Tim had a natural patterned TT Vortex and I had a Firetiger TT Vortex. We didn't have any stinger hooks so we were a bit sketchy as to whether or not to put them on. We stayed with Spinnerbaits for some time before I changed to a Jackall Bros. TN70. While Tim stayed with the Spinnerbait for most of the day.

The fish weren't on the bite so much and a TN70 has to be either ripped or jast jerked if it's to be kept off the bottom from snags prompting me to down size to TN60. I hadn't landed anything as yet on this particular colour though I had changed the trebles from the orginal Owners to Owner Stingers which put my confidence up that it would hold the fish.

We went for quite a long walk along the bank. We spent an hour or so trecking through bush to find new spots though there wasn't much to like. I changed my lure to a Jackall Bros. Mask Vibe 60 in Chart./Silver colour. We managed 1 or 2 missed hits and Tim dropped one at some new spots :( .

We decided to walk back and that we did. We got to our favourite bank and had some high hopes as the cloud cover was coming over B) . I figured the fish would come on the bite soon and changed back to a TN60 Jackall with some nice loud rattles. We walked the whole bank while having a break and a cast every 5-10m. We get right to the end of our bank and we see another fisho, Johnny, that we had seen a few trips before. As soon as I said hello to him, BANG! First fish of the day after 5 hours of casting and boy were we releived! He wasn't big, around 30cms fork length, but it was probably the best looking Bass I have seen. I think it was just the releif symptoms kicking in ;) .

We walked back up to a slight dip in the foreshore and Johnny hooks up to another 30cm model on the weirdest looking crankbait I have seen. It was just like a flat piece of heavy metal (Probably lead) with patterns and slight surface variations to make it kick through the water. Plus it weighed around 12-15grams so you could cast it a mile and it appealed to all fish as it was only 50mm.

Soon after I hook upto a 25cm Bass on the same TN60. About 10mins later we were wondering when the fish were going to come on the bite as the clouds had almost covered the sky as far as you could see.

I tell Tim to change back to a Spinnerbait, even though there hadn't been much success on them for the day. He insists on usng a Vibe so he borrows my Yozuri Silent Vibe for no success. He puts on his Spinnerbait, a couple of casts in, \"Yep, there's a tap\". As he's retreiving it Johnny and myself watch his rod tip, it's going bezerk with hits until he finally hooks up to a 40 odd cm model B) . It would have been an easier task if we had some stinger hooks ;) .

Next cast Tim hooks up again, then again. Johnny quickly throughs on a Spinnerbait since thy arn't hitting my Vibe or his Soft plastic. Immediately he's rewarded with a 30cm fish. Dam I don't have a Spinnerbait :( . So I grab Tim's little 1/4 oz. one that's 1/3rd the size of Tim's. Straight away I hook up while Johnny an Tim do the same. Johnny and Tim drop their two while I get another 35cm fork fish onto the bank and release him.

From then on I have no success on the Fire Tiger Spinnerbait. Johnny and Tim hook next cast for a nice double hook up of Tim's 35cm model and Johnny's chunky 53cm fork fish. The longest Bass I have ever seen by 1.5cms.

The fish stopped biting and Johnny managed to land another smaller fish. We continued casting for another 30mins for no success and decided it was time to go as it was now dark.

End Tally:

Tim: 4 Bass, 30-40cm

Johnny: 4 Bass, 30-53cm

Troy: 3 Bass, 25-35cm

All measurments are fork measurments. Sorry no pics for this session :( . We were waiting for somthing werthy of a picture but it didn't happen. Johnny got a flick of his 50+ and Tim's 40+ though. The fish at the end made the trip worth while.

Troy

Some additions to the report.

Understatement of the year with amount of walking we did! We walked a lonnng way. It would have been so much easier if the fish were biting tho.

And I got my 4 fish in 4 casts.

The fish stopped biting just as it got really dark.

Tim

Good to see you guys finally got into some fish after so much effort. What a crap of a time to be fishing too, it was hot as yesterday:sick:

And gee, you would have thought the biggest bass you had ever seen would have been worthy of a photoB)

Good work though guys, sounds like you have the bass figured out if you can catch them when they are shut downB)

Archived