First bass from NPD

bmxdirtjumpa

Well 2 weekends ago i went and bought myself a spinnerbait and thought i would give npd a crack along with a few other lures. So anyway i got there rigged up and first cast saw my brand new lure go a lot further then expected...not attached to the line!!

Cut my losses and tried a few other lures with no luck. Then got my mate to dig for earthworms managed to find 3 haha. so it was getting on dark and cast out and earthworm and bang! i was on! got him right to the edge and snapped the line, oh well. Threw another out and pulled in my first bass soon after, no luck with the last worm haha anyway pictures went about 33

Image236.jpg

BMX, Depending on your spinner bait I would advise against a loop knot. They really don't offer any benefit to a spinner bait. Afterall, the only action is the skirt being pulled through/stopped in the water, and the blades.

Some spinnerbaits have a closed 'tow point' others have an open, in whic you just tie the knot directly on.

I'll have to refresh my memory. But I thought Palomar was actually a rather poor knot. Just that it scored a "good" breaking strain in Fireline as an example, due to the fact that the real breaking strain is so much higher than rated.

Could be completely wrong :) Will check when I get home*

*If I remember

I use the palomar in 12lb FC Rock. Ties pretty well. When tossing meatal slugs in the winter at North Pine I lose a lot less lures on the snags if I use this knot......I've tested a few and this one works for me.

Hey dirtjumpa don't forget to add a stinger to your spinnerbaits with a plastic attched for a little extra something for the bass !!!

stinger is a stinger hook. It's a hook that goes over the normal hook (in this case in a spinnerbait). Essentially its along the lines of a gang hook.

Triple Palomar Knot:

Geoff Wilsons Book

When tied in Berkley Fireline this knot retained 217% of the manufacturers breaking strain (86% of the actual breaking strain). When tied in 30lbs Spiderwire, this knot broke at 25.3 pounds (11.49 kg), 85% of the manufacturers breaking strain (74.5% of the probable actual breaking strain).

Terry H wrote:

Now, how the hell you get 108% breaking strain in a knot, is beyond me...

You said it before mate, the real breaking strain is often higher (by a big margin) with some braids. Fireline in particular breaks very high. I often used the palomar in Fireline and haven't had a failure. Never tried it in mono for some reason...

Stinger is a second hook hung on the back of the spinnerbait hook so it is either just behind or right at the back of the skirt.

Had a look at the dam yesterday, the grass at the waters edge seams a lot thinner than earlier in the year (and lower water), I still would not use less than 10lb leader if you dont want to lose lures to the sunken shrubbery!

Feral wrote:

Stinger is a second hook hung on the back of the spinnerbait hook so it is either just behind or right at the back of the skirt.

Had a look at the dam yesterday, the grass at the waters edge seams a lot thinner than earlier in the year (and lower water), I still would not use less than 10lb leader if you dont want to lose lures to the sunken shrubbery!

he he he...I'm using 20lb leader and 15lb main line in certain spots. I've come across some super snags out there and was busted off twice using 12lb leader a few weeks back.

Basically a submerged tree where some big girls like to hang out and pinch lures!!!

I love bass !!!

Never 100% sure. My mate was standing next to me in chest deep water. The tree is about three metres from us about a foot under water. We pulled a good number of fish from it.

Locked drags and pull the fish away from the snag as quick as you can. I was actaully having a chat to him when one hit and pulled the rod tip right down to the water. It really took me by surprise. Pulled the drag off really fast and then it was around the tree. Cod don't move that fast. Good for a giggle but when it happens the bite always shuts down. I was using mask vibes and swam to find it. The bass usually don't like it when I swim towards them :laugh: I reckon I've hooked one cod in there. Didn't feel like a bass and I felt the tail pumps through the braid. Short run and it spat the hooks.

When I got the lure back there were little tiny scales on the trebles..perhaps from the fishes cheek. Cod...perhaps !

Archived