Brisbane River Trevally

nabs

Hey guys,

Decided to have a fish in the river with Troy and Ando this morning. I got there to find Troy already fishing but without any result. I started with a small popper which I half heartedly used until Ando arrived.

Once he arrived I tied on an sx-40 in the hope that some bream would come out to play. Troy had a few casts with his Jackall TN 50 (While Ando tried for the 5th time to tie his leader:laugh: ) into an area which we found out drops from 3m to 16m very fast.

No luck for Troy so we moved on searching for some bream.

We started walking the rocky banks, flicking our sx-40s everywhere for a relatively slow start. Troy got a small bream and I got a similar sized cod. We kept on casting and walking along the banks until I spotted a few rocks still yet to be fully covered by the in-coming tide. They were about 3 metres out from the shore and we were fishing from quite high up. I had a few casts at the rocks until during my retrieve the line stopped. I saw a silvery fish take the lure, turn and start running like mad. My initial thoughts were that it was a Trevally from the shape that I saw but I wasn’t 100% certain.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz the 2lb line starts peeling off the little Daiwa Airity and it doesn’t look like its going to stop. I start shouting at Ando and Troy who don’t know what’s going on and they run straight away to see.

The fish suddenly takes a left and heads towards the shore at a great rate of knots. The problem now was that there is a big tree to our left and it would be impossible to control this fish from where we were.

So, without thinking Troy manages to get down to the bank and we pass the rod down to him. He runs along the bank chasing the fish and trying to steer it away from some of the nasty structure that 2lb braid wouldn’t stand a chance against.

Ando called it for a Salmon, which seemed reasonable as there have been a lot of them caught in the area. Troy called it for a big Mullet :huh: or a Salmon..

Troy continued fighting the fish until we found a way to get down to where Troy was. When we thought about it, it is a very steep drop to the bank and we still don’t understand how Troy was able to get down so fast without getting injured.

Anyway we got down and I took over from Troy. He was shaking from the fight :ohmy: and then the same happened to me :laugh: . We tried landing the fish several times with extra precaution that the 2lb braid could rub off on a rock at any time. All our attempts failed until Ando had a go and used the current to expertly land the fish.

We took a few Pictures and sent the fish off on his way :)

The fight took around 20min and took a lot out of us. So we all went and bought slurpies:silly: I don’t think I've ever wanted one so bad :laugh:

Sorry for the long report, just really stoked to have caught a fish of such quality from the Brisbane River.

CheersB)

Archived