"Squiding"

chonna

Guys,

am thinking of heading down to Shorncliffe jetty tomorrow night to try my hand at catching some squid. It will be a firstm, so was just wondering if anyone had any tips?

I've got some of the cheap ET ones from Kmart. Does anyone use them? are they any good? or should i invest in some of the japanese ones from tackleworld??

what colours work best there?

and whats the "jetty rat" factor like there?

may even try woody point jetty. If there are any other decent ones (recliffe?) let us know

cheers

Can only really answer the first question. Yes the cheap ones will work, but not as well as expensive ones . For example, we couldn't hook a Cuttlefish on some cheap ones, first drop with a Yamashita one (bout $20 :S) caught him. Cuttle fish are smarter than Squid though ;)

For your first go, I'd just have a play around with the cheap ones, but, when you get there, test their bouyancy. If they plummet like a brick as the cheap ones often do, you won't get a thing. Clip some of the lead off the jig until it sinks relatively slowly. Doesn't have to be nearly neutral, but it should stay in a squids face for a second before sinking out of range. They'll normally take it if they see it for that long anyway

Ask for colours, in general, Pinks, Oranges and Greens have worked best for us, but that is in near crystal clear water in the bay.

Edit: The Squid in my display pic was caught on a pink Yamashita jig, size 3. That's another point to mention. For most jetty sized squid, a size 2.5-3.5 is best

Good luck, be sure to post a report

you know what i find is weird is that some of my squid jigs absorbe the squids ink in that flurecent fabric they are covered in. The orange and yellow squid jig was stained bluey black in colour the first night i used it. now it doesnt work as good now that the colouring is gone

Get yourself down to Brett's Wharf under the lights.. After seeing afew big Boyles the other night I started throwing a Sammy (not a squid jig) and hooked and landed a squid, there were stacks in the water.. Wherever there is good light your a good chance. As for the jigs - I would personally go for the more expensive variety, although Cowfish is right the cheaper alternatives Im sure work also. Try to work it up within the first 30cm under the water surface with little hops and then slowly sinking down.. For some reason there seem to be quite afew around at the moment. Good luck.

chris_stewart14 wrote:

Get yourself down to Brett's Wharf under the lights.. After seeing afew big Boyles the other night I started throwing a Sammy (not a squid jig) and hooked and landed a squid, there were stacks in the water.. Wherever there is good light your a good chance. As for the jigs - I would personally go for the more expensive variety, although Cowfish is right the cheaper alternatives Im sure work also. Try to work it up within the first 30cm under the water surface with little hops and then slowly sinking down.. For some reason there seem to be quite afew around at the moment. Good luck.

Hey Chris, does it matter on whether it is low or high tide from Brett's Wharf? We are thinking of going there later today. Do you think that other method of using a pilly with the squid jig would work?

Hey Teck... High Tides are a must in my book as they will come up onto the rocks to see what the tide has left them and they can dart under the boardwalk to evade larger predators as bream and stanard stuff that hangs around in the shallows on the rocks is of no threat to them.. The bigger guys like Jew and Threadies LOVE them but squid can evade them quickly in shallow water and small crevaces where they cant fit. Im not sure if you are aware but there is a cave like section that hollows out underneath that stretch of boardwalk. I know for a fact they can be picked up along weed beds during the day although all the squid I have ever caught have always been at night and lights are they key! The more and brighter the better.. The Pilly thing will DEFINATELY work but you will need squid barbs as me getting one on a trebble was a complete fluke!

Good luck!

Yeah boys I haveto agree with hairy weasel... They seem to be all over the place at the moment.. A drift past Brett's could pay dividends but be careful as you'd haveto get quite close into the boardwalk to make use of the lights and it gets shallow with alot of rocks! Jew and Threadies LOVE live squid!

Archived