Gold Coast marlin hunt

Yellow Peril

we held our annual Brisbane Sportfishing Club Australia Day marlin trip on the 26th of January off the Gold Coast. Good conditions with very small swell and 12-15 knots of S-SE early which dropped back during the morning. There were 8 boats from the club with about 25 anglers onboard.

I headed North to Couran Cove initially to find heaps of birds working bait on the surface, but there were no fish to be found. Found some more good bait schools in about 30-37 m NE from the Seaway and saw the charter boat Reel Chase hooked up to a small marlin about 500 m away from me. Could not jig any bait off the schools.

Kept trolling and eventually found some bait which I could catch in 33 m SE of the Seaway. Put out some yakkas on the drift and saw a free jumping marlin which did not take our baits.

Came back in to the Seaway about 1.30 pm.

None of our club members caught any marlin. There was one wahoo about 10 kg and a cobia 6.6 kg caught. Fishing was very slow with even the game charter boats talking about how slow the fishing was on the radio.

\"That's fishing\"

Jeremy

www.brisbanesportfishingclub.com.au

Archived