Hardyheads

badboygibbo

Recently I have been dragnetting and I keep catching a hell of a lot of hardyheads. Are these good bait? Are there any size limits or bag limits on them? Also i have been getting small ones ( about 2-3 inches ) and also some bigger ones (at least 6 inches).

Oh and also there are some garfish around which i have caught.. most are small but yesterday i caught one 35 cm. (in the net) Are these alot better than hardyheads?

Thanks alot

Paul

from my experience which is mostly limited to the river and the mouth of the river, hardyheads are useless oxygen wasters for your bucket and garfish crap all over them

i dont think ive ever had a hardyhead hit by anything lol

garfish are great though, dead or alive

the story might be different out in the bay or other areas or even for other people but thats just what i've experienced so get some more opinions before you reject the little buggers like i have :D

i'm exactly the opposite to nadders (sorry mate). the only snapper we caught at the brissy river mouth was on a hardihead. when i catch squire at whitepatch bribie island i get them on hardiheads. try em and see what you think..you can butterfly em for something different (cut the back bone out leaving two flaps hanging from the head). i sometimes go through the mouth of the hardihead leaving the barb protruding near if throat/belly..put the sinker straight onto it's nose. get a few of the others and cut em up small and use them as a berley..a few bits every 3 or 4 minutes. that's what i do anyway :)

• 10 years later...

Hello to all fellow fishers and I hope this will help with the question about Hardy heads as bait. Some years back my Dad and I dragged the bait net around Elliott heads near Bundy and caught buckets and I mean buckets of Hardy heads which we froze fresh and took off shore on our next trip from Burnett heads. The results were and no I am not kidding we caught over 250 lb of turrum or trevally and every time we baited up with these small fish we get to half way down and were hit with another double head of trevally. I guess to point was if you don't mind eating them then they are a fantastic bait , we caught the occasional hussar etc. but mostly Trevor's.

• 2 years later...