Fishing brissy river mouth

kstod

29/05

Went out fishing Friday morning at the brissy river mouth, woke up around 5am picked up angus around six and finally got on the water at about 6:30. Went off from pinkenba boat ramp and headed straight towards the rock bar to see what fish we could catch.

This was probably one of the first time I’d ever really fished the river (bit more of a noosa river person) so I wasn’t really planning to catch much. Anyway we got to the wall and angus had a good idea of where to fish around there but was mainly a guess and check style of fishing, so we eventually anchored at a spot and used pillies and a few pike and prawns that angus had from a few days before. It was probably less than half an hour in before angus broke the ice hooking a tailor around 33cms off the front. After that over the next hour or so anguse hooked a few more talor roughly the same size and I think a few small squire as well and another little bream around 20cms. Still though I had nothing and it wasnt until a couple of hours into it that finally hooked a little flounder, not to big but at least I had landed the first fish, always a relief.

After a while however we started using the pike fillets, trying to save prawns for later uses at the sunken wall, which proved to be a bit more successful with a few more hookups from some bigger fish over the next few hours. I hooked a pb bream for me around 33cms and a bigger flounder than the previous one, angus caught a nice squire in the high 40s which was also pretty good I thought.

After about 10am though it all started to quite down a little bit and we decided to try a few other spots. Firstly we tried a bit further down the rock wall for halfa with no luck and only a few little hits. We then decided to try a mud island, firstly I was a bit reluctant especially with a boat that almost has a punt shape about it, but the bay was almost glassy with only 2-5 kt winds so I decided to give it a go. Once we got over there we decided to try around the cardinal marker and didn’t really get much except a keen flatty that followed my lure even when I was winding in my line pretty fast and then paused probably 5 cms from the top before it swallowed and took a little run. Pb flatty for me around 50 cms I think which was pretty good. After a couple more hours around mud island didn’t really catch much more I think angus hooked a flatty there as well a bit latterl before finally heading back into the sunken wall for an hour with no real luck and then decided to get back to the ramp around 2:30.

Overall for me I thought it was a pretty good session, hooked my first tailor and got a pb for flatty, bream, and flounder which I thought was pretty awesome.

Awesome session Kurt cheers for the deckie spot.

My internet connection is slow as hell here and im on Tanya's laptop as my computer literally blew up causing me to loose a lot of stuff!

Once my connection speed returns ill save those pictures and chuck them up here.

Cheers.

Angus

Archived