Whiting on Poppers?

plugga

Hi Guys, I was wondering if anyione has any experience on catching Nice size Whiting on Poppers. I use stiffy Poppers and just give them quick short blurbs. I've tried the Hornibrook flats. but no luck.

Any tips would help :)

THanks

pLuGga

Whiting prefer a constant retrieve with small, constant bloops. If you stop it for too long, they'll get a good look at it and shy away from it. Not a fast retrieve, but constant.

Hornibrook flats are probably a bit over fished to have heaps of readily available Whiting, but they'll still be there.

I prefer walk the dog style lures on whiting but have had good results on the pearl white stiffy poppers but most effective for me is the clear nw pencil and I colour the head with purple permanent marker with a touch of red under the chin. Works a treat :)

Try the Sammy 65's and Surecatch poppers, they both work on Whiting and Bream. When working the poppers as other members have said Whiting prefer a constant retrieve with a few bloops here and there without stopping. Try Shornecliffe there is plenty there

Thanks TomW

Has anyone else checked out the new full Mojiko HB range at Anaconda ?

Pretty impressive and nicely priced. Yeh ok mostly direct copies of R2S range (which of course the purists will say are all copies themselves as well...1 hahah)

Anyway, some nice little poppers in there that would go downa treat with whiting i think, i picked up a 'BubbleWalk 35', but i had other species' in mind when i bought it....

To be honest, if you really want to catch whiting, use bait, or perhaps some Sandworm/Bloodworm SP's....

• 1 month later...

I use the river2sea bubble pop45 and have a lot of success on whiting up around golden beach up at Caloundra. I work the shallow banks and weed beds in the area and get alot of whiting with the odd bream thrown in also. I use a 1-2kg rod and use 1kg braid for this style of fishing which is great for throwing these small pappers and a lot of fun as the average size of the whiting you get up there is in the mid 30cm mark with the odd 40+cm to. You will also hook a flathead from time to time also along with queenfish that take a liking to you popper. I target the tops of the banks and weedbeds at high tide usally in water depth between 1.5 - 3 feet. And bait is not alway the best, i have been fishing around boat in this area that are using blood worms and not gtting a thing and i have drifted past on my kayaks and hooked whiting on poppers in the same area. There are times when whiting just aren't interested in a bait sitting on the bottom, but twitch and skip a fast moving popper past them and it seem to excite them and get them fired up. And it also only attracte the larger fish also not all the 15-20cm pipkers that you get with bait.

DSC00078.jpg

This is the results of a quick half hour session of the kayak

Slider65: thx for the info, i will just keep trying , thx.

Gazza: nah man ive got the dvd with starlo and bushy.

But one more question: If u were poppering and u put the popper over the flathead head would it come to the surface and smack it???

Kind regard

PPLlUUggAA :P

P>S: where are osme good areas to catch fish on poppers?

plugga, currumbin creek is really good place for whiting on poppers. there are land based accessible flats on the southern side of the lagoon but your best bet is to hire a yak or of u have one thats great and on a mid tide paddle out to the middle and jut stand in about knee - waist deep water and cast over the flats. fished there yesterday and caught 3 bream and 5 whiting all around 30cm mark on poppers and plastics. my favorite whiting poppers are smith towadi's and river to sea bubble pop 35's. good luck

Bubble pop 35 and 45 work a treat. Definitely agree on constant retrieve, most of the time you don't even need to do much blooping. Clear colours work best on clear water, if water is murky go with a darker colour. Fish light. I use 2lb fireline. Gives the lure much better action and the fish can't see it. Regards spots I look for any area where the tide is filling over a yabby bank, you will catch them in anything from 6" water to about 4 feet.

• 3 months later...

I've recently trialed one of those bushys stiffy poppers in the 50-55mm range, one being opaque beneath with green above and one silver beneath with brownish green on top. Fishing the flats and holes of hope island, I've had many whitng swipe these lures and have also had a flathead with a head the size of a shovel add one to his collection, all in about 60 cm of water.

Best catch was pure luck, with a decent GT coming from the beach on the opaque one on sunset, 25 minutes later...

Just a word of warning, if you're going to run a leader, use mono not flurocarbon. I find the flurocarbon sinks and causes a 'ripping' effect when the lure is retrieved, scattering everything with a tail for miles on end.

Good Luck on your next outing

• 4 months later...

donnybrook, incoming tide on the southern side of the boat ramp, flick out to the weed beds and constant slowish retrive with a bloop or to. caught a few decent whiting there coz theres great yabby banks, aswell as a few just legal flattys and bream. lots of by catch such a spike/ long tom, small grassy sweet lip etc. just outside the weed beds its around 4ft then comes onto a gentle slope 2ft to the beach. rebel pop-r in white pearl or r2s bubble pop 35s.

good luck

cheers

drew :woohoo:

A mate of mine sells DIY Poppers - clear bodies without any trebles or rings - which you can rig up how you want. He's getting heaps of positive feedback on them picking up whiting.

You can check them out at Palmfishing and Outdoors, dirt cheap too and they come in packs of three. (Mod - not sure if I'm breaching any advertising arrangements by putting the link up, apols if I am).

http://palmfishing.com.au/do-it-yourself-lures.html

diy_popper_palmfishing_2.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived