Ho Ho 1st on spro

Dinodadog

Had a Saturday session on the NPD for a change, got to the ramp early to avoid the weekend rush only to find out all the others stayed home. It was very quite for a sat morn only 3 boats and a yak. Lucky Feral was there to direct all the traffic. Anyway on the fishing scene managed to get on the board 1st up with 2 from 2 shrimp which was all I got out of 4 traps, both being bass. I then had a few casts with g/vibes, SPs, and rio's prawns for no luck, so I put a couple of ridgebacks on and headed off on the troll. Picked up a bass near the Island between the far markers,I then headed over to Spro corner. It got its name as Faulked has been getting a few bass there on the spros. I had got bass on spros before but not from the boat,so not one to give in I have been having a go, trip one nil,trip two got one half way in and this morning yahoo I got one all the way in on a old glory spro 70. I then managed another 2 on the ridgebacks on the way home.

Fish while you can

Dinodadog

1st on ridgeback lure [img size=448]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/npd20_6_001.JPG

Good one. Guy from Tackleworld sandgate gave both the ridgebacks and spro"s a blurb this morning on nuggets show. Could that be because he stocks them?Faulked will be at a disadvantage as his old glory got monstered last trip something absolutely crunched it.

Cheers

Ray

good to see you on the spro board mate gordon at tackle world gave me a call today to tell me he has some spros instock so ill buy one of each colour "im allready most of the way there" and have a troll off and see over a few trips which is the best my moneys on old glory but mine got a bit damged and is almost a two piece now :(

I have been taking particular notice of the bait schools since we have been back on the water and have found they are down in numbers compared to last time the BAS was going. Having said that the bass still look very healthy. We used to see massive schools of boney bream on the sounder that thick they would block the sounder, one minute your sounder was reading 32ft and then when you pssed over a school it would be showing 3ft, used to have you looking for the brakes before you run aground.

As Dino remarked I too have noticed a lack of 50+ fish this year compared to previous years where it was common to catch at least a 50+ fish each trip.

I wonder if all the larger fish have been caught as the stocking numbers would have been comparativly low 10 to 15 years ago.

Cheers

Ray

Could be the hard times just killed them off, and with little food in the system until recently the next couple of lots just did not have the feed to put on the size.

Better that way anyway, bit sad when 50cm plus bass are common, takes away the idea of them being "trophy bass"!

The reduction of stocking for four years plus the worst drought for yonks plus the slaughter by the rain coat brigade plus the obvious lack of oxygen caused by all the decaying matter has reduced the number of older fish. The 53cm Dino and I found dead on Bullockies the other day reminds us of the large fish kill in the dam a couple of years ago after a sudden rise after heavy rain. Lots of reasons but they are still around, I got a 51cm last Thursday as Dino confirmed in his report on the day. Tight lines. Ian M :cheer:

Archived