(mis)adventure of a wee popper.

Sokak

A couple of months ago I picked up my first popper lure. Not knowing much about how to use them and so-forth I just went with a cheapy, something that looked small enough for a bream or maybe whiting to take a jab at. I'd used the popper on a few occassions whenever I found the water still enough, and was starting to get the hang of it, watching a few fish take a pass at it. Then a couple weeks ago I saw a bit of activity on the water in the river near west end so I thought I'd give the popper a go. No luck, but switched back to bait, caught my feed and all was good.

Several days went by exploring spots along the river, trips up to Shorncliffe etc. then I end up at a new spot along the river. Nice & calm and at low tide I spot some structure sitting out about 5m from low tide mark. I figure a popper at high-tide around there might be intersting so I wait for the tide to come in then go to get out the popper... It's gone. Dang, here I've gone and had it probably fall out of my box at some point somewhere...

A couple of days later I rock up to the same spot but there's a bit of wind so I figure I'll try that old spot in West End again. I rock up and cast out with bait then get to thinking about my poor popper, then thought maybe I had lost it here... Sure enough there it was in the grass not 10cm from where I put down the box that day! He was looking a little worse for wear, I think run over by a lawn mower because there was a slight crack along the belly and the rear trebble was flattened. I replaced the rear trebble, cleared out the dirt that packed its way into the gill-slits, then tied it on and tried it out... It still happily popped and blobbed along, I think it even popped a bit better than it had when it was new.. :)

And here I was looking forward to hitting that structure this weekend and we get this cursed wind!!! Hopefully the popper will wait patiently in the box until the next outing. Even if it's structurally damaged from being run over and a bream smashes it I hope to give it an honorable death.

• 4 months later...

Awesome Misadventure story mate,

Poppers are a great way to fish, I'm planning to scale down my gear to try some of the smaller variants myself, along wth some stickbaits. That's gotta be a good omen for that one but, hopefully a big bluenose will give it an honourable death at sea.

Tight Lines mate

Archived