its hit the fan,,well the hallway anyway for NRL

kriso

well 2009 is the year NRL would rather forget i think, i must say as i dont have any kids that may look at these guys as role models etc i think some of these things that have happened are pretty funny, and just real loose nights on the turps. i wonder if they will publicly hang julian O'neal now as he did something similar many moons ago like they did andrew johns. 50k is a pretty big fine for the roosters and with all the money that has generated from these player exploits i wonder where is it all going?

Role models what a crock.

What these guys do in their own time is their problem. Why should they loose their livlihood over it.

Parents should teach their children to distinguish between a sport heor and a life hero.

U"sing the role model argument to fine/penalise/sack these guys is crap. What they do in their time shuld stay private.

They are paid to play footy. Thats what they do.

Leave them alone. If they choose to misbehave outside of the footy/sporting arena or official sporting function or duties then its their choice.

yeah i agree, if you wanna preach to your kids that they are role models thats your risk. i would say alot of us would of been part of a footy club when we were younger and you would now the same stuff happens in the local clubs so its going to follow once these guys make it to the big leagues, if you have ever been on a mad monday you will know what im talking about.

shortie wrote:

What these guys do in their own time is their problem. Why should they loose their livlihood over it.

Parents should teach their children to distinguish between a sport heor and a life hero.

U"sing the role model argument to fine/penalise/sack these guys is crap. What they do in their time shuld stay private.

Leave them alone. If they choose to misbehave outside of the footy/sporting arena or official sporting function or duties then its their choice.

I'd have to disagree Shortie. If I went around behaving like that and get myself a conviction, then I'd lose my livelyhood too. And my profession isn't under such media beatup as often as the NRL.

tomca wrote:

shortie wrote:

Using the role model argument to fine/penalise/sack these guys is crap. What they do in their time shuld stay private.

I'd have to disagree Shortie. If I went around behaving like that and get myself a conviction, then I'd lose my livelyhood too. And my profession isn't under such media beatup as often as the NRL.

Really. I know your a security guard but would it really affect you. I know police officers that have criminal convictions for behaving badly. IE i have a mate that had a car accident when drunk and ran from the scene. HE got big time in trouble but still had a job.

I am not a prude and I love rugby league, I had 3 boys playing it, but what gets up my nose is the close up shots of the players swearing and spitting all the time including the coaches. I'd rather see the ruff stuff than the filth. One bloke swore twice while being interviewed after the game last week. Then they wonder why the mums dont want there kids to play.If they can controll themselves most of the time in rugby why not in rugby league.

kriso wrote:

50k is a pretty big fine for the roosters and with all the money that has generated from these player exploits i wonder where is it all going?

being involved with a junior rugby league club,I can say, the money from fines usually ends up in a fund, that clubs can apply for grants from,with this money, the clubs then use it for buying training equipment, facility improvements, etc.helping the juniors.

cheers

My boy listens to the news and reads the sports section and has figured out that these guys are not always the clean cut players the NRL wants them to be and it does disappoint me that some of the players he's looked up to have been in strife. So I use it as a lesson for him about consequences. He's just getting sick of me having to repeat it every second week.

Role model or not, if you believe the press (which I view with a fair bit of cynicism anyway)for Miles to turn around and blame gastro... how bloody stupid does he think we are? They need to man up and pay the price which is no secret to any player, especially in rep footy. Don't give us some sh*tty excuse (pardon the pun), that only make it worse.

shortie wrote:

tomca wrote:
shortie wrote:

Using the role model argument to fine/penalise/sack these guys is crap. What they do in their time shuld stay private.

Really. I know your a security guard but would it really affect you. I know police officers that have criminal convictions for behaving badly. IE i have a mate that had a car accident when drunk and ran from the scene. HE got big time in trouble but still had a job.

Geez hope that wasn't Booty! :ohmy: :laugh:

Gad wrote:

kriso wrote:
50k is a pretty big fine for the roosters and with all the money that has generated from these player exploits i wonder where is it all going?

being involved with a junior rugby league club,I can say, the money from fines usually ends up in a fund, that clubs can apply for grants from,with this money, the clubs then use it for buying training equipment, facility improvements, etc.helping the juniors.

cheers

well thats good if its going to the junior clubs

A large majority of league players today have a lot to answer for. If they are going to be in professional football then they should know they are going to be in the public eye and act accordingly..at least have composure..like going to a toilet when you need to go is a good start..(stomach bug my ass) ...if they are going to act like dirty dogs then they deserve every punishment dished out.

well for the episode nate myles pulled off...not community service for him..:-) i think he should maybe look at some time back on the potty and be re-trained...and carry a good supply of nappies with him when he goes to the pub...just in case..

Yeah but to kids these guys are role models! Despite what their parents say.. I love Rugby League and have no kids.. My old man never preached to me that they were role models but I saw them as that being a little tacker cause I played footy and my dad loved footy.

Kids dont look up to doctors and nobel prize winners. They look up to the guy who scores the winning try and the guy that his dad is raving about how good of a player he is.

Archived