fishing in the Tin Can Bay area

zeppelin

There was a good article in the July Qld Fishing Monthly that covered the general area of Tin Can Bay.

Could give you a few pointers.

If fishing the Hervey Bay area I found good fishing on the rock bar that goes across the mouth of the river at River Heads.

I've gone out from Maroom, Tuan, Urangan...all are good places for tinnies...for a larger boat i would use urangan.

Just off urangan peir is big woody island...i haven't fished there yet, but its pretty good apparently. Quite a few artificial reefs there. The new FishFinder book gives you the details (its in newsagents).

Maroom and Tuan depend on the tides a fair bit so keep that in mind.

Hope that helps :)

Nat

Mate fished there for many years.. probably best alround spot is River Heads. As you're driving down to the ramp there are ramps to the left and to the right. Straight ahead is south Head and you can cast lures around there for big flatties, jew, barra, blue and king salmon, tailor, etc etc etc. THe ramp on the right is better protected. From there you can go right and go further up the Susan and Mary Rivers (which join just before they both flow into the Sandy Strait at River Heads where the ramps are). You can fish the rockwalls as mentioned previously. You can go left into shallow sandy flats of prawn gutter for whiting and heaps of hammerhead and reef sharks with the odd flattie thrown in or you can head across to Fraser and the coffee rock ledges along Fraser. If you hit Fraser and turn right you can easily get to Deep Creek and other good looking spots. Even if you don't like the fishing the scenery is five stars.

Some warnings:

* River Heads has massive currents, and there is 100 foot of water just metres from teh boat ramp. Don't fall in.

* Go slow - there are some bad bombies around. Australia doesn't move much when you hit it with your prop.

* Be careful with pots. Share farmers are not as bad hgere as at Burrum but they are still around.

* DOn't get caught in shallow gutters, esp over on Fraser. [img size=640]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/hboat4.jpg

Archived