02/03/07 kookaburra park

adventure_angler

hey guys,

me and 2 mates drove out to kookaburra park last night for a bit of fishing, arriving at about 7pm. we had bought mullet and squid on the way but were interested in trying to cast net for livies, however, on my mates first throw of the net it got nicely snagged on a submerged object only about 1m out :P no matter what we did it was not coming unstuck and it wasnt until 2 helpful guys launching there boat offered to help that it came free. they used there boat to pull the net out away from the shore and sure enough it worked.

on the 2nd throw a tiny (8cm) bream was found in the net and released. a few throws later a 12cm gudgeon was caught in the net and once again released. we decided to give up on cast netting and instead started to bait up with strips of mullet. things were going slow for ages until a i caught a small forktail catfish. next thing to be caught was a 60cm pike eel... my first pike eel. and that was the end of fish for the night. the rest of the night we spent with baited mullet lines out and filling in time flicking lures, nothing!

there was another group of fisherman about 20m away and they managed to get a few good hits from what we could see and hear, unsure if they were able to hook-up at all. its amazing how slow the fishing was because the entire time we were there fish were continuously jumping out of the water (mullet most often). the problem seemed to be that all the action was occurring on the opposite side of the river. i recall some1 mentioning the fact that there is a deep channel about 3/4 of the way across and this definately appeared to be where u needed to have ur bait.

We ended up leaving at about 12:30. First trip to kookaburra was a bit slow, but i would definately head back and try it again.

-nelson-

that was me and my deckie john that unhooked your cast net A.A:P

headed out into the river and proceded thget bombed by jumping mullet scared by the boat had five good liveys befor i even got the net out. started casting and found reasonable sized liveys hard to come by the bony bream were all huge we were getting 3or 4 35cm ones to every 15-20cm one, kept a dozen large ones for crab bait 3 buckets with 12 smaller baits in each. went over to my favourite hole and started fishing, wind was a bi of a problem to start with spining the boat round but it died off after a half an hour or so.

things were slow till the current picked up lost 18 baits killed by crabs befor we got a run.

didnt manage a hookup till the third run, john landed a good little bully of 83cm and knocked it on the head,later we found it had a tag in it.

all i could get was undersized or female crabs and a couple of pike eels(kept for terry).

i ended up getting a bully at about 11pm then another on the very next bait. packed up at and went home at 1:30am

[img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/3_bullies.jpg

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/03 17:56

Post edited by: jeff f, at: 2007/03/03 17:57

post-422-144598408153_thumb.jpg

OK ;) But i can type with 2 fingers 1 on each hand :woohoo:

Good report jeff , shame about the tagged bullie, but thats the way things go sometimes. Good size fish though.Plenty of bait arround by the looks.

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/03/03 18:38

thanks again for ur help jeff, if u hadnt have lent a hand i wudda been walking in to try get the net off :P

sounds like u had heaps more action than us, we just cuddnt manage to get any live bait with the cast net...

its good to see you guys got some decent sharks, gives me hope and ill definately be heading back sometime soon for another go!!!

-nelson-

didnt take pics of eels, hate eels with a vengence.

jeffs method of dealing with pike eels.

when you get them to the surface bounce them around a bit to piss them off so they open thier mouths

drag the line over the grab rail so that the eel hits the rail one jaw over one jaw under the rail pull really hard on the line to lock them in place

grab hardwood billy club and BASH REPEATEDLY around the head with extreme prejudice till head is severely smashed to a pulp. grab eel with multi grips and violently extract hook with pliers.

put eel in bucket for terry.

make sure you rant about what putrid, filthy, disgusting bait thieving, trace destroying things they are all through the process!!!

Oztrav and I can vouch for JEFFs method :evil: , It is quite amusing watching and listing to him take care of these critters :laugh: in the early hours :woohoo:

I hit Kooka at 3.30 am today,All I got was a couple of CATTIES and sacrificed all my livies to the crabs. Got there at near bottom of tide, I think that place needs run in tide to do any good.Left at 7.30 when bl****dy ski boats arrived.

Post edited by: Lozzel, at: 2007/03/04 16:59

I hope no greenies read this post!

We cut the head of our eel the other night and thought that there was some stomach line or something holding the head and the body together, but no, it had just swallowed 30 cm of trace with a 4/0 hook. They're evil ugly things!

• 2 weeks later...

it takes a lot of time and money tagging sharks, so when you do catch one with a tag (or two) in their back, release it! as was said before, i cringe to think how the greenies would/will react if they ever read this...just what we need!

gregory

Archived