First Brisbane River Thready!!!! STOKED!

zan0_15

gday everyone...

well took off yesterday avo to head down the river just shy of the mouth to try once again for my first thready! sounded out a nice little drop off with a few suspicious arches on the sounder! so decided that would b the spot......was out in front of one of the wharves not sure which one but was a grain wharve of some kind....anyways got the anchor set and way we go with a live herring...out she went....had my old man and my brother out with me as well and we were all getting descent bites on pilly chunks on our other rods whilst waiting for the big one to come along!!!

about 45 mins in to our trip and with the sun setting behind some big black clouds which had me scared of gettin wet earlier......zzz...zzzzz...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz picked up the rod and struck it and all parties swung into action retrieving other lines....it was on!

first i thought stingray as the river produces them for me very consistently! but a few darting runs later i then called it as a shovel nose as it couldnt possibly be what i came for!!!! whilst fighting the fish in question there was at one stage a very different thump on the end of the line then nothing.......then it was off again..i didnt think much of it at the times except that i bloody lost it.....but oncee boated it was clear what had happened....something large thought it needed my thready more than i did as can clearly be seen in the photo...half of the tail fin was missing and a few puncture wounds which were bleeding as we got it aboard and scales dislodged half way up the fish!!! Shark was my first thought but it couldnt have been...shark would have ripped it in half so im at a loss as to what it may have been and look forward to hearing your thoughts!

anyways i was and still am stoked with my first thready and cant wait to get out there again...cheers for reading.....rambled on a bit :P oh yea youll just have to take my word for it as i dont own a brag mat!!! she went 121 cm! :laugh: pic is a bit hard to see the damage but u can see the different colouring from the tail up to the first fins as a result of the scales all being roughed up. can also just see the red puncture wound near my left hand th_Photo0157-20091011.jpg

zan0_15 wrote:

cheers davo..yer i have put in some hours on the river with nothing to show but it is worth it as the next big one is only just around the corner!!! every donut brings me closer hahaha thats positive thinking for ya!

yeah that's my thinking too .

we where a step closer with using the tinny so we could go further out and have live bait .

all trips before where land based or canoe.

u weren't in a green boat ,think it was green .

about a 15 foot runabout ?

Davo_Dinkum wrote:

zan0_15 wrote:
cheers davo..yer i have put in some hours on the river with nothing to show but it is worth it as the next big one is only just around the corner!!! every donut brings me closer hahaha thats positive thinking for ya!

yeah that's my thinking too .

we where a step closer with using the tinny so we could go further out and have live bait .

all trips before where land based or canoe.

u weren't in a green boat ,think it was green .

about a 15 foot runabout ?

yer we only got 2 Live herring from colmslie from about 15 throws...no i was in the redhead ...she is red lol...but is 15 ft!

Tiny Tin wrote:

nice work mate..congrats on the fish. we went out the other night fished a wharf with the best looking livies you'd ever seen..marty got one eel and a shovely and i got a donut..not even a bite. had pilles out..Sps and livies..next time maybe lol :)

yer mate i have been out many times and put in many hours.....none of which i did any differently to last night.....was just lucky she was swimming by i guess...if your not there...u wont catch it!

Archived