Jump to content

Yet another tranny prob.


Keen-as-fisho

Recommended Posts

I am having more dramas with the bloody transducer in the yak :angry: . The sika flex has come undone during travel to fishing spot, it didn't stick to the poly. This time I am going to ditch the hull mount and install it on some inch pressure pipe, simply because it will sit in the rod holder comfortably. My question is, with removing the sika flex from the transducer, what do I need to take care of? Will cutting/scrapping the glue off with a stanley knife bugger it up if it scraps any of the trany?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I reckon if its damaged it would be from rattling around inside the yak once it let go. They are pretty tough.

Try again, can you get access to the area near one of your scupper holes? I've seen blokes use cable ties to hold them to the shaft made by the scupper hole with sikaflex used under it still.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Keen-as-fisho wrote:

Thanks ray.

Will any cuts effect it?

it should be ok .

mine has some decent scratches on it and still works .

mine has hit a lot of rocks etc in the creeks.

i have mine mounter on a piece of wood,that i clamp on the canoe of tinny ,with a g clamp.

i have hit stuff that hard that it ripped the screws out of the wood and was just dangling about on the cable .still works .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've seen your work before, so am not surprised with things falling off :laugh:

Whats wrong with the way my tranny is mounted? A ring cut out of rubbery foam glued to the hull with contact adhesive and the tranny snugly pushed into the hole with a dribble of water.

When a good fish does laps of your yak and the line tangles on the tranny, you will curse the idea of hanging it off the side.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is obviously a bit late but here is what I did with my In-Hull Tranny mount and it works awesome. You might be able to do this instead of external mounting. Also I just used Selleys AllClear but I needed to leave it for a week to fully cure. There is also a shot of another yak with this type of fitting. I can remove the tranny before and after trips and all you need is a little clean water to fill the space in the foam.

Cheers

DSC00323-20091110.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had a similar tranducer problem . used too much sikaflex. it didnt cure properly. i removed the last bits of sikaflex by soaking it in turps and rubbing off.

I now have a foam cup sikaflexed to the bottom . then add a small amount of water around the tranducer each trip.

Some people use a ballon filled with water but the balloon i tried wasnt big enough.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just went down to Clarks Rubber and got a sheet of the black foam. Cut three squares and glued them together with the Selleys AllClear. Then cut out the hole and adjusted to fit the Tranny. Stuck it to the yak with plenty of AllClear so tha there would be no gaps allowing water out and no probs to date. I also put in one of those Battery mounts as well.

Cheers

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.



×
×
  • Create New...