Predatek lures

ryanyoung

G'day all,

I have been away for a bit and coupled with the fact that the kids broke the computer, means I havn't had a decent AFO fix in quite a while.

Anyways, I have just returned from BCF with a few new purchases. A 50mm Predatek Minmin (tropical perch), a 65mm Predatek boomerang 65 (poddy mullet), and a spinnerbait.

I am just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the brand/colours in the fresh?

Cheers,

Ryan.

Ryan predatek lures are well known and very successful.

A lot of Bass fishermen use them to excellent effect trolling. Mind you they are prob not as suited to your present style of bank flicking as they dive very deep very fast. There are different bib depths, but even the shllower one I think (someone should be able to clarify this) is still pretty deep. Ideal for a boat though.

The min min I have no personal experience with but have seen plenty of reports featuring them.

Angus

You out of luck, Chilli and I just gave away the last of ours up at Monduran. I hate em, they are my "bad mojo" lure, I've never caught a fish on one. (No critism of the lures, other people catch fish on them, they are just my own personal "bananas and green underwear" hoodoo!)

So I gave away the last three I found hiding in my tackle box when I got there, (I thought I had given them all away a while ago) Brian gave away about 8 I think. I find any more I'll keep you in mind!

tomca wrote:

they are my go to lure when chasing snapper in the bay, and the boomerangs with the small bib do well in the dams. Aussie made too, which is a plus

Aussie made was one of the main resons why I bought them. Gus, I got the ones that don't dive as deep, the max is about 4.5m with the shallow one at about 2.5m. They go from about 7.5 m up to 1.5m in the range.

Really love the colours too!

Feral, its weird how one lure works for some but not others. I have a super el'cheapo lure that does the damage, and others that don't get a touch! Maybe its a confidence thing?

Cheers,

Ryan.

Feral wrote:

So I gave away the last three I found hiding in my tackle box when I got there, (I thought I had given them all away a while ago) Brian gave away about 8 I think. I find any more I'll keep you in mind!

And I thought you blokes were mates :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I got 3 of Brians and 1 of yours, lets see how they go out in the "Wild west water" ;)

I have used some minmins and micromins and they have caught me fish after plenty of tuning. The biggest issue is they float to fast. Stick on some extra weight (suspendots or ss split rings) and they do a lot better. I have also had a bit of success with some custom painted versions.

Terry

Lozzel wrote:

Feral wrote:

I got 3 of Brians and 1 of yours, lets see how they go out in the "Wild west water" ;)

Thanks Loz, I still owe you a couple of beers for that.

Feral is being a little harsh on my behalf. I only hate the Hyper Vipers with a deeply intrenched passion, not all Predatek Lures. I actually like them and will buy many more.

Ryan I think you have picked a coulpe of good ones so good luck. I have found the silver bony bream mid water and the purple mini to be best so far in my fishing conditions. See the picture, there are 3 on the top line, the 2 end ones are the purple mini and mid I refer to. The one in teh middle is a great shallow diving castable lure that I use accross the top of weed beds after rain.

I am not sure Gus is on the money either, there are many Predetek lures suitable for casting including your perch. 1-20091201.JPG

post-118-144598511211_thumb.jpg

Brian D wrote:

Lozzel wrote:
Feral wrote:

Thanks Loz, I still owe you a couple of beers for that.

Feral is being a little harsh on my behalf. I only hate the Hyper Vipers with a deeply intrenched passion, not all Predatek Lures. I actually like them and will buy many more.

Ryan I think you have picked a coulpe of good ones so good luck. I have found the silver bony bream mid water and the purple mini to be best so far in my fishing conditions. See the picture, there are 3 on the top line, the 2 end ones are the purple mini and mid I refer to. The one in teh middle is a great shallow diving castable lure that I use accross the top of weed beds after rain.

I am not sure Gus is on the money either, there are many Predetek lures suitable for casting including your perch. 1-20091201.JPG

That's quite a collection there mate, I am striving to make purchases greater than losses due to snags. I am smitten a bit with the predateks though, the colours of the poddy mullet and it's swimming action look totally awesome. I think the time of day that I went yesterday wasn't really the best, so it is difficult to say whether the lures are fishy or not!

In the near future, I will be purchasing more predateks, a shallow and ultra deep boomerang 65 and also a shallow diving minmin in different colours.

Cheers,

Ryan.

Angus wrote:

Sorry Brian I worded that a little badly but I meant that Boomerangs are not so great for creek casting not Predatek as a whole.

Angus

Yeah, you are right Gus, the deep diver I got was bouncing off the bottom a bit, I reckon if I get the shallow diver it will go down trumps! Keen as mustard to get back to BCF and grab one (probably in mulga frog)!

If anyone is keen for a session in the fresh in the near future, give me a bell, keen to break the dry spell!

ryanyoung wrote:

Angus wrote:
Sorry Brian I worded that a little badly but I meant that Boomerangs are not so great for creek casting not Predatek as a whole.

Angus

Yeah, you are right Gus, the deep diver I got was bouncing off the bottom a bit, I reckon if I get the shallow diver it will go down trumps! Keen as mustard to get back to BCF and grab one (probably in mulga frog)!

If anyone is keen for a session in the fresh in the near future, give me a bell, keen to break the dry spell!

Will do Ryan. I am pretty much out of action until I move, but as soon as I can I will.

Angus

Angus wrote:

ryanyoung wrote:
Angus wrote:

Angus

Will do Ryan. I am pretty much out of action until I move, but as soon as I can I will.

Angus

No worries mate, looking forward to it!

Yeah mate I understood but I didn't want newbies to get the wrong idea about predetek lures. THey are great lures made in Australia for Australian conditions. :)

BTW I also cast Boomarangs from teh bank, including the deep divers. THese work especially well in foul waters as they back up and float. THey also get down very quickly. B) Deep water holes are ideal.

Bommie wrote:

the type that resurface quick are designed to do that so they will hop over a snag when you feel it hit instead of hooking onto it, there are as Steve said suspending and also sinking models

The ones I have all rose to quickly when paused for a fish to believe they are natural. Adding a bit of extra weight to slow the rate at which they float still lets you float them over snags but the fish also don't turn away when you pause it. May not be such an issue using them in fresh water on fish that like a constant retrieve.

Archived