Your 'Must have' hard bodies.....

GrantP

Hi guys,

It's time for me to invest in some hard bodies (I've somehow managed not to buy a single one so far!!), and I was wondering what others consider the 'must have' HB's are - those you wouldn't leave home without! It's a good way for me to generate a shopping list for what will no doubt be an expensive trip to the tackle shop!!

Target: Palegics! :D

Any suggestions appreciated!

pelagics... for me... I haven't done too much of it from a boat, but a must is the smaller 10gm ones. When the little bonito and mac tuna are around, they won't touch anything bigger. I know they're not for eating, but they're great fun and awesome bait. And also available to be caught from land.

Halco laser pro crazy deeps have easily been my most successfull trolling lure. Its also good to have a few shallower running laser pro's too. Have found rapala x-rap magnum 30's very good but it brings a tear to your eye each time you lose one at twice the price of a halco. X-rap's are tougher though and will last longer if you don't lose them.

Have tried halco giant trembler's with limited success. Have only trolled up cobia on them. Some one told me that they are to noisy for our waters down here. Have recently picked up some river2sea terminator vibes that look the goods. Will have to see how they go.

Unless the pelagics you are chasing are tailor and bonit and mackerel in the bay 125's are way too small.

190's are perfect although at time I wish I had some bigger minnows twice the size tochuck in for the hell of it.

You will be amazed at how aggressive tuna and other pelagics can be. Often you will catch 30cm long tuna on the 190's.

• 1 year later...
Hi Angus

I purchased one of those and regretted it before I got home, thought they were a bit too big for the estuaries. Great to hear you support them. What colour / model number do you have?

Thanks

The O's

Not even sure now (finally did loose it to a snag).

It was the very prawn looking one though.

Angus

I used to fish in some 'trolling only' comps and found these two beat absolutely everything (including rigged flying fish) hands down, the trophy plaques I have at home are testament to how good they work:-

1. Halco Lazer pro 190, crazy deep in the grey colour (I think its the R12 mullet pattern?)

2. Halco scorpion 150, 5 metre diver in the blue colours with a bit of red under the chin

What I found critical was to troll these as fast as they would go without busting out of the water (5-6 knots), and absolutely essential to be trolled using braid. This made them 'work' really hard and increased strikes dramatically. Using mono they just don't work hard enough. I just use about 3m of jinkai before the lure to act as a shock absorber, braid straight to the lure works great but pops regularly when a fish does a sudden acceleration.

Also the crazy deeps usually need heaps of tuning on their first swim and sometimes won't swim at all! Lucky they are cheap. The scorpions also need the middle treble removed and the front and back trebles beefed up.

Both lures are also awesome for shallow reef, coral trout and GT's love them.

Hope these would work for you down that way.

Hi Angus

I purchased one of those and regretted it before I got home, thought they were a bit too big for the estuaries. Great to hear you support them. What colour / model number do you have?

Thanks

The O's

Not even sure now (finally did loose it to a snag).

It was the very prawn looking one though.

Angus

Yeah mate its def not to big.

In heavile fished canals the average bream may be a bit sppoky to hit it.

But to a cod or a flatty this is a small lure not a big one.

Angus

Archived