UK Fishing Scene

MoparKevUk

Went back to the UK for a few weeks and seeing as I never ever fished there except for maybe once with a kids rod for a larf I thought I would check out the mysterious tackle shop at the end of my old Mum's road. Man, they have some gear over there! This coarse (fresh) stuff seems able to bleed you totally dry without even casting a rod! You also have to get all the warm clothing, shelters etc for the miserable weather 10 months of the year. All rods are 10ft plus long unless you find a boat rod (7'ish) Bought some sea fishing mags, they seem to be peroccupied with fancy pants rigs and there are even distance casting comps on golf courses!!??!! All adverts for reels show the handles on the left (as it should be!!!! ;) ) Overhead reels are called multipliers. Spinning reels are called fixed spool reels. It's a different language over there! There were some fishos in the shop talking about going for a sesh on such and such river on the weekend. Bearing in mind the temp didn't go over 5c the 2 weeks I was there it would appear that fishing in the UK is painful rather than pleasurable!!

Ended up buying some Devon Lures, will report back on their effectiveness before they all rust away.

lures.jpg

Also bought a Shimano Stradic 3000s GTM-RB reel marked down to 65 of your English Pound notes.

s1.jpg

s2.jpg

It's got a "Fighting Drag" lever that lets you up or down the drag from your initial setting with yer thumb. I assume this is a UK thing for when you are rugged up in your flotation suit slipping about on damp rocks in a gail force wind, swept with horizontal rain with gloves on....

Anyone interested in having the UK Sea Fishing mags when I'm done with 'em give me a hoy! Interesting for us Oz Fishos, way simpler over here. B)

PS The warm beer was fantastic B)B)B)

Warm clothing :blink:

Warm beer :blink:

5 degrees :blink:

Geez Kev, where did you go?.....Iceland :laugh: :laugh:

Don't tell me.......you have to cut a hole in the ice to fish in PommieLand :laugh:

Mate, I've been back 3 times to Tingalpa Creek and it's been very ordinary B) Mind you it's been during the day and when the moon is off, so not really much to be expected.

A small jack and a few legal bream, but not much. Had more luck in the boat at the Junction with a nice 92cm shark, but still slim pickin's.

Welcome back to PARADISE! :)

Cheers

Judge

Nice reel! :)

Takes me back 5 years hearing you talk about the UK fishing scene! I remember fishing every Saturday morning on the river severn through the winter, trying to find new methods of preventing the eyes on your rod freezing up!! :unsure:

I should imagine you aussies would find 'pole fishing' a very strange concept too - a series of hollow carbon sections that are telescopic or 'put-over jointed' to form a rod that is anything up to 18 metres in length. The top 2 or 3 sections have a length of elastic running internally to which you attach your 'rig'. That's right, no reel!! When you hook a fish, the elastic stretches!! Carp fishing with a pole is awesome fun!!

Good luck fitting anything more than 110yds of 5 lb on your new 'match' spools!! :D

(Hope it came with at least one spare deep spool?)

GrantP wrote:

Takes me back 5 years hearing you talk about the UK fishing scene! I remember fishing every Saturday morning on the river severn through the winter, trying to find new methods of preventing the eyes on your rod freezing up!! :unsure:

I should imagine you aussies would find 'pole fishing' a very strange concept too - a series of hollow carbon sections that are telescopic or 'put-over jointed' to form a rod that is anything up to 18 metres in length. The top 2 or 3 sections have a length of elastic running internally to which you attach your 'rig'. That's right, no reel!! When you hook a fish, the elastic stretches!! Carp fishing with a pole is awesome fun!!

Pk Reel looks good.Lures look interesting.

GrantP. "Carp fishing with a pole is awesome fun!!"

Gad wrote:

GrantP wrote:

Pk Reel looks good.Lures look interesting.

GrantP. "Carp fishing with a pole is awesome fun!!"

Nah...on a summers evening, relaxing back at the camp with a coldie,eating crab and prawns after a successfull day on the water,and watching the bikini parade go by.. That`s awesome fun!! it helps the eye on your rod from freezing up too

;) :laugh:

Archived